- The market is expected to grow at approximately 2.3% over the forecast period.
- Low number of serotonin syndrome cases and fatalities restrain market growth.
- The U.S. accounts for the maximum market share.
Serotonin syndrome is a group of symptoms such as high body temperature, agitation, increased reflexes, tremor, sweating, dilated pupils, diarrhoea etc. due to use of serotonergic drugs. Serious complications such as seizures and extensive muscle breakdown may occur which may lead to death. The 1984, Libby Zion case is an example of death from serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome is typically caused by synergistic effect of two or more serotonergic drugs which generally include selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), amphetamines etc. Other drugs with a high propensity of causing serotonin syndrome are dextromethorphan, buspirone, L-tryptophan, St. John’s wort, metoclopramide, ondansetron etc. There is no laboratory test to confirm the diagnosis of serotonin syndrome.
The Serotonin Syndrome Diagnosis and Treatment Market is expected to reach $400 million by the end of 2023, this market is projected to grow at a CAGR of ~ 2.3 % during 2017-2023.
The treatment for serotonin syndrome consists of discontinuing medications contributing to the condition. For serious cases, other treatments for managing associated symptoms may be used. For serious cases with a threat to life gastrointestinal decontamination using activated charcoal is performed. Sedatives such as benzodiazepines are used for agitated patients. High fever is a common symptom of serotonin syndrome which reaches extremely high temperatures greater than forty centigrade. To control hyperthermia cooling measures may be needed. Serotonin antagonist such as cyproheptadine may be needed.
- Publish 3 Press Releases for $20! – Connects with Google news, Goolge & Bing Organic Search plus Social Media Websites
- Social Media Business Boot Camp – Learn how to Leverage Social Media for Business Returns
- $12 for Google News & More Press Release – Possibly the Best PR Deal on the Internet
- Online Business Consultant: Let Us Help You Solve Your Business & Amazon Problems
- Get a Brand Design that Reflects Your Values, Beliefs and Personality!
- Press Release Written & Distributed – Get your PR Published on Google news and more.
- 5 Articles for $250 – Thousands of Views
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Your Website, Improve Your Goggle Rankings
- News Writing & Google / Communal News Publishing – Let Us Help You Tell Your Story!
- Communal MP is Open – Read About the Many Services – Like Push Marketing
The market restraints are the low number of cases and equally low number of fatalities associated with the syndrome with less than 1% cases consuming serotonin syndrome causing drugs developing the diseases. Mild symptoms occur in about 15% of SSRI overdoses.
The Global Serotonin Syndrome Market is segmented on the basis of drug treatment, and end users. Based on drug treatment, the market has been segmented as serotonin antagonists, supportive care (Muscle relaxants, the control of autonomic instability, anti-hyperthermics, antihypertensive and others. Based on the end users, the market has been segmented as hospitals, point of care and others.
Key players profiled in the report are AstraZeneca Plc., Eli Lilly and Company, Forest Laboratories Inc., GlaxoSmithKline plc, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co., Inc., Pfizer, Inc. and Sanofi S.A., Ciron Drugs & Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd. and others.
US accounts for the maximum market share due to greater use of medications and greater expenditure on healthcare. The faster market uptake of new technology and devices in the US is also an important driver of the market for global serotonin syndrome diagnosis and treatment. Europe is the second largest market due to large disposable income and rising awareness. Asia Pacific region is expected to have the most future potential and it is estimated to be led by China and India. The Middle East & Africa market is led by the gulf nations particularly Saudi Arabia and UAE. The regions of Africa are expected to witness a moderate growth due to poor economic and political conditions and poor healthcare penetration.