- Perhaps the most thrilling title race in English football history comes to its exciting conclusion Sunday. Liverpool and Manchester City have matched each other, blow for blow, the entire season, with neither dropping a point since March 3. With 95 and 94 points, the runner-up will set the Premier League record for most points by a team that didn’t win the title.
- Man City (2-17) remain favorites to repeat as Premier League champions, and claim their fourth trophy in eight years, thanks to the goal of the season Monday. Belgian superstar Vincent Kompany struck home from 25 yards out, providing the margin of victory against Leicester. A win at Brighton— their 14th in a row in the Premier League— and the title is theirs.
- By contrast, Liverpool (7-1) will need a(nother) miracle to claim their first top flight title since 1990 (a streak which predates the Premier League itself). Only a win against Wolverhampton, and a City draw or loss, will do for sure. League leading scorer, Egyptian national Mohamed Salah, is questionable Sunday, after missing this week’s epic Champions League win against Barcelona. A duplicate trophy will be at Anfield, just in case.
- Championship Sunday’s eight other matches offer remarkably little in the way of drama. Arsenal’s slim hopes (200-1) of cracking the top four depend on a win at Burnley, a loss by arch-rival Tottenham, and enough goals to make up their eight-goal deficit. Even the normally contentious relegation battle finished up early, with Cardiff City joining Fulham and Huddersfield Town in the three-team cellar last week.
- Of course, Sunday won’t be the end of the 2018-19 football season for several English clubs. Arsenal and Chelsea play the second leg of their Europa League semifinals on Thursday, against Valencia and Eintracht Frankfurt, respectively. Man City face Watford for the FA Cup on May 18. And, if you somehow missed the news, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur will play each other June 1 in Madrid, in the first all-England UEFA Champions League Final since 2008.
Only $1/clickSubmit Your Ad Here