- Attacker surrendered to police and confessed that he was the attacker.
- Attacker says his main target was Mexicans.
- Attack is the deadliest attack on the Latino community in modern US history.
Patrick Crusius offered no resistance when he was arrested, according to the city detective, and said: “I am the attacker.” The 21-year-old white man says he is behind the attack that left 22 people dead and two dozen wounded last Saturday in El Paso, Texas. He has since confessed that the target of his brutal attack, using a rifle that looked like an AK-47, was Mexicans.
The attacker did not in any way resist when police arrested him after the massacre at the Walmart hypermarket. He also reportedly waived his right to remain silent, according to information published Friday based on court documents and accessed by several local media houses. “Since then, he has been collaborating with investigators,” El Paso detective Adrián García said. An affidavit filed before a judge last Sunday says that the young man calmly surrendered when he was arrested. “I am the attacker,” he told the agents.
In his confession, Crusius confirmed that he had driven from his home in the suburb of Allen (a few miles from Dallas) to El Paso, a journey of approximately 10 hours by car. Before the attack, police believe Crusius posted a manifesto on the Internet that spoke of a “Hispanic invasion of Texas.” In the manifesto, he said: “If we can get rid of enough people, our way of life can be more sustainable.” The text promotes the white supremacist theory known as “the great replacement,” alluding to a supposed plan by European elites to replace the white population of the continent with immigrants from North Africa and the Middle East.
Authorities are investigating the deadliest attack on the Latino community in modern US history as a domestic terrorist attack and are evaluating treating the case as a possible hate crime. Many of the victims had a Latin last name, and eight were Mexicans. Texas prosecutors have already indicated that they will seek the death penalty.
The massacre was followed hours later by an Elizabeth Warren supporting shooter killing nine people in Dayton, Ohio. The first shooting opened a debate on the divisive rhetoric of President Donald Trump. The second shooting did not appear to stir debate at all.
Trump’s detractors are now blaming him for calling immigrants who cross the Mexican border criminals and talking about an “invasion.” Some Democratic candidates have even claimed that Trump is a white supremacist. But Trump is facing them head-on. “I think my rhetoric brings people together,” he said Thursday morning, before visiting victims in El Paso.
In his message to the nation after the two killings that caused 31 deaths in less than 14 hours, the president on Monday condemned “racism” and “white supremacism” and said that “hate has no place in the United States.” In addition, he called for unity. But his previous and subsequent Twitter messages were no different than his usual style: brutal attacks on his opponents– who are often just as loose with the rhetoric they use on their own twitter accounts.
One of Trump’s latest targets has been Democratic candidate Beto O’Rourke, a native of El Paso who called the President a White Supremcist. “Beto (phony name to indicate Hispanic heritage) O’Rourke, who is embarrassed by my last visit to the Great State of Texas, where I trounced him, and is now even more embarrassed by polling at 1% in the Democrat Primary, should respect the victims & law enforcement – & be quiet!” Trump tweeted on Tuesday.
“22 people in my hometown are dead after an act of terror inspired by your racism. El Paso will not be quiet, and neither will I,” O’Rourke replied.