Writers and journalist have possibly experienced the biggest single employment disruption since the Internet entered our lives. It has displaced the entire traditional paper publishing business as we know it. Newspapers, magazines, catalogues, yellow pages, the entire market is either gone or just a fraction of what it use to be.
What are writers to do? The need for good writers has not disappeared by any means. However, the platforms and the manner of publishing has seen a massive tsunamis of change. Articles claim:
“reporters become bartenders and baristas while looking for work” and also, “in most industries, employers can’t find enough people to fill the jobs they have open but in news, it has been the opposite story. And it seems to have been accelerating.”
Writers need to look ahead to the next business cycle instead of focusing on the past. Yes, many people still want that big corporate job, but it involves playing the game of musical chairs for decades and, over time, most workers lose. It’s time to look ahead, to a way of riding the Internet wave. How about posting your services on a freelance business gig platform?
If you understand the theories of disruptive technology, it’s much harder to stay in a dying industry then it is to grow within the new dynamic industries that are causing the disruption. One of the most robust disruptions is coming from the freelance gig service for business. You can start out reading about freelance business gigs for beginners here.
You might consider specializing in writing for micro fields, where you become an expert. Start by offering 450 words for a set fee. Start low to build a clientele and a reputation. It doesn’t have to be a specific topic; it might be a type of writing. Focus on one area: Green Energy, Social media writing, religion, money, finance, even writing for blogs, websites, or news articles, ect. Whatever you choose, work hard to become an expert. The only cost in the beginning is your time. The effort to market yourself as a writer is also very low. You can do this while you’re bartending or being a barista and transition until it’s full-time work.
- Excel Spreadsheets & Automation VBA/Macros
- Publish 3 Press Releases for $20! – Connects with Google news, Goolge & Bing Organic Search plus Social Media Websites
- Social Media Business Boot Camp – Learn how to Leverage Social Media for Business Returns
- $12 for Google News & More Press Release – Possibly the Best PR Deal on the Internet
- Online Business Consultant: Let Us Help You Solve Your Business & Amazon Problems
- Get a Brand Design that Reflects Your Values, Beliefs and Personality!
- Press Release Written & Distributed – Get your PR Published on Google news and more.
- 5 Articles for $250 – Thousands of Views
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for Your Website, Improve Your Goggle Rankings
- News Writing & Google / Communal News Publishing – Let Us Help You Tell Your Story!
The pay will not be the same as the corporate job, nope. That is part of the major technology disruption. This is a gig market and only over time, providing good work, will you gain trusting clients. But some have become very successful, especially the high skilled writers who understand regulatory documentation, cannabis and cannabis regulations, global governess, compliance polices, etc. There are countless ways to be useful to people running businesses. Many companies are looking for that very special person right now.
Is it time to stop fighting the employment trends and instead of complaining, start riding one of technology’s all time biggest waves. You need to figure out a way to get in front of the wave, so its a force that helps you. You might actually find a flexible career that you love.
Working with Communal News (where the publishing is free), we’ve discovered that many companies just need to find the proper writer. Starting a gig is easy.