- Beer Is Mainly Distributed Through Supermarkets and Hypermarkets.
- Unflavored beer presently accounts for the majority of the total market share.
- Asia Pacific Dominates the Market.
Beer is one of the most commonly consumed alcoholic beverages around the world. It is prepared from four basic ingredients including hops, water, yeast and malted cereal grains that undergo the process of fermentation over a long period. Different flavoring ingredients like fruits or herbs are also employed to enhance the taste of the beer. Some of the easily available beer flavors are India Pale Ales (IPA), porter and stout, wheat beer, brown ale, pilsner and saison. As per the global beer market report by IMARC Group, the market reached a value of $589.6 billion in 2018.
While the sales of beer in developed economies have been stagnant, its consumption has increased in the emerging economies owing to the inflating income levels and rising consumer preferences for beer over other alcoholic beverages. Additionally, a rise in the female drinking population, in confluence with the growing youth, is strengthening the market growth.
Apart from this, the increasing adoption of western culture has altered the perception of consumers towards alcoholic beverages like beer in developing regions. Further, manufacturers are financing creative and innovative marketing strategies to attract consumers. Looking forward, the global beer market size is anticipated to reach $692.1 Billion by 2024, exhibiting at a CAGR of around 2.7% during 2019-2024.
Market Segmentation: Based on Product Type, Packaging, Production & Alcoholic Content
- On the basis of the product type, the market has been segregated into standard lager, premium lager, specialty beer and others. At present, standard lager is the most popular product type. It is a genuine all-malt beer that has a mild aroma and flavor. As it contains low-alcohol content and lesser calories, it is gaining popularity amongst health-conscious consumers.
- Based on the packaging, the market has been classified into glass, PET bottle, metal can and others. Currently, glass represents the commonly used form of packaging.
- The market has been analyzed on the basis of the production into macro, micro and other breweries. Amongst these, macro breweries exhibit a clear dominance in the market as they offer beer at relatively lower prices.
- On the basis of the alcohol content, the market has been divided into high, low and alcohol-free segments. The report finds that high alcohol beer represents the largest segment since consumers associate high alcohol content with premium beers.
- Based on the flavor, the market has been bifurcated into unflavored and flavored beer. Unflavored beer presently accounts for the majority of the total market share.
Beer Is Mainly Distributed Through Supermarkets and Hypermarkets
On the basis of the distribution channel, the market has been segmented into supermarkets and hypermarkets, on-trades, specialty stores, convenience stores, and others. At present, beer is primarily distributed through supermarkets and hypermarkets. They offer consumers different product varieties and brands of beer to choose from.
Asia Pacific Dominates the Market
Asia Pacific currently holds the dominant market share in the global beer market owing to the rising demand from countries including China and India. In addition to this, a significant increase in the consumption of beer has been observed due to the growth of the young population in the region. Some of the other factors that are impelling the growth of the market are changing lifestyles, rising number of female drinkers and the increasing acceptance of western culture across the region. Other major markets include Europe, North America, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America.
The competitive landscape of the market has been analyzed with some of the key players being Asahi Group Holdings Ltd., Anheuser-Busch InBev., Beijing Yanjing Brewery Company Limited, Carlsberg Group, Diageo plc, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery Inc., Heineken N.V., Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Groupo Modelo, Heineken NV., Interbrew Company, Kirin Holdings Co. Ltd. and Molson Coors Brewing Company.