- Two things must be looked for in a beach blanket - waterproof packing and whether or not it repels sand.
- If you are looking to buy a beach blanket for your family, it must be big enough so that everyone can sit on it comfortably.
- The better quality and bigger a beach blanket is, the heavier it will be.
A standard picnic blanket is not the right option for a beach vacation as it is designed for a greasy area. The right beach blankets are the ones that are designed specifically for the beach and are made of a fabric that repels sand. If you want to buy a sand proof beach blanket, here are a few factors that you have to consider:
While buying a beach blanket, one of the most critical factors for you to consider is the fabric used for manufacturing them. Most of the beach blankets that you will find in the market are made using water-resistant polyester, microfiber, and fleece. Two things must be looked for in a beach blanket – waterproof packing and whether or not it repels sand.
2. Shape and Size
Are you buying one only for you, also for your spouse, or one big enough for the whole family? Depending on the answer, you can buy an oversized beach blanket that fits your entire family or buy a smaller one suitable for one to two people. If you are looking to buy a beach blanket for your family, it must be big enough so that everyone can sit on it comfortably. It should also have some space left for storing your personal items.
Apart from the size, you also have to consider the shape of the beach blanket. They are usually available in the shape of a square, rectangle, or even a circle. For multiple people, the best option is a square or rectangle beach blanket. A round blanket works best for one person.
The better quality and bigger a beach blanket is, the heavier it will be. It won’t be an issue in most cases, but if you have to take a long walk to the beach while carrying all the beach equipment, you might not like having a heavy beach blanket. In such cases, a lightweight blanket will work well, especially if you travel a lot.
4. Other Features
When it comes to buying a beach blanket, the best choice is the one that has a multitude of features that makes using them and storing them easier. Here are some of the features that you might want to consider:
- Built-in pouch/compression straps: If your beach blanket has compression straps, it will be easy for you to roll it up and store it in a box. Even a blanket that can be folded into a bag will make transporting and storing easier.
- Pockets: Some beach blankets come with pockets so that you can keep your valuables like keys in them.
- Anchors: In some beach blankets, anchors are provided to ensure that they stay in one place. Find a blanket that has weighted corners, or you can buy a sand-weighted beach blanket.
Unlike the beach towel, an outdoor beach blanket’s job is not to dry you off but to provide a place for you to sit comfortably and off the sand so that you can enjoy your time at the beach. You might think that you can sit on the beach towel, but what will you do when your towel is wet after you have dried yourself? You will have nowhere to sit. So, having a beach towel and a beach blanket is essential for you to have a good time without worrying about all the sand sticking on you and your clothes.