- Achieving Cybersecurity Readiness
- What Enterprises Should Know
- Cybersecurity Readiness Objectives
An organization cannot achieve cybersecurity readiness without a comprehensive understanding of its most important information assets, how its information systems and networks operate, how its information systems support business operations, and what information is moving in, out and through its networks.
Discover the 7 elements of cybersecurity readiness your organization needs to possess for a high degree of situational awareness into network operations and network utilization.
ACHIEVING CYBERSECURITY READINESS: WHAT ENTERPRISES SHOULD KNOW
A cybersecurity readiness plan presents and discusses fundamental objectives that organizations must achieve in order to consider themselves cybersecurity ready. While this cybersecurity checklist is not comprehensive, these objectives are the minimum required to give an organization a reasonable level of cybersecurity awareness and focus on protecting critical information assets.
For the purpose of this article, cybersecurity readiness is defined as the state of being able to detect and effectively respond to computer security breaches and intrusions, malware attacks, phishing attacks, theft of data and intellectual property from both outside and inside the network.
A critical piece of this definition is “being able to detect.” Detection is a place where significant improvement can be made from the current 9 to 18-month detection threshold; a faster detection capability would limit damage caused by an intrusion and lower the cost of recovery from that intrusion.
Being able to understand routine network operations and to detect when network operations stray from a normal definition or baseline of activity is an important element of cybersecurity readiness. Here is a cybersecurity checklist of seven objectives for enterprises to consider:
- Buy Research Report: Patient Care Monitoring Systems Market – Insights on Upcoming Trends COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: Breast Cancer Drug Market – Insights on Scope COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: Global Virtual Network Functions Industry driven by the growing need for advanced network management systems
- Buy Research Report: Craft Soda Market 2018 Leading Manufacturers Analysis and Global Demand Till 2026
- Buy Research Report: Consumer Identity Access Market 2026 Overview, Consumption, Supply, Demand & Insights
CYBERSECURITY READINESS OBJECTIVES
1. Cybersecurity plan: To achieve any goal or objective, a plan that provides guidance toward those goals and objectives is essential. Cybersecurity is no different than any other kind of endeavor in that regard. In this context, cybersecurity readiness is the overarching goal and a cybersecurity plan is the first of several objectives that lead to a state of cybersecurity readiness.
An example objective in a cybersecurity plan might be: Protect customer and employee personally identifiable information, financial information and protected health information from theft, perusal, unauthorized disclosure and unauthorized changes by threat actors located either inside or outside of the network.
In the cybersecurity plan, objectives are defined and a timetable, milestones, measures and metrics are established for each objective.
2. Risk management: Information security is an operational risk management activity. Using risk management techniques will help:
- Identify critical information assets, as a minimum. A risk management program can be extended to also identify critical people, business processes and technology.
- Identify why the chosen critical assets are necessary to daily operations, mission accomplishment and continuity of operations.
- Understand the risk environment that threatens these critical assets.
3. Identity management: This is made up of various plans, policies, procedures and technology aimed at providing appropriate access to information resources and an understanding of how those resources are used and by whom. The required plans, policies, procedures and technology include: