- Water & wastewater treatment is the largest application segment of the membranes market.
- Asia-Pacific is the fastest growing market for membranes.
- Polymeric segment dominated the membranes market due to its extensive application in the water & wastewater treatment, medical & pharmaceutical, food & beverage, and industrial processing sectors.
Membranes are materials that act as selective barriers, allowing the passage of certain constituents while retaining the others. They are mainly termed as filtration elements and are widely used in commercial and industrial applications. Certain properties of membranes, such as durability, porosity, permeability, stability, and selectivity make them indispensable elements in various industrial applications. The membranes market is projected to reach $11.95 billion by 2021, at a CAGR of 10.3%.
Key players of the membranes market include The Dow Chemical Company (U.S.), GE Water & Process Technologies (U.S.), LG Water Solutions (U.S.), Toray Industries (Japan), Merck Millipore (Germany), Asahi Kasei Corporation (Japan), Hydranautics (U.S.), Danaher Corporation (U.S.), Pentair plc (U.K.), and Koch Membrane Systems, Inc. (U.S.). This market is mainly driven by the application sectors, such as water & wastewater treatment, medical & pharmaceutical, food & beverage, and chemical processing. The development of the pharmaceutical and industrial sectors in North America and Asia-Pacific is driving the growth of this market.
Polymeric: The largest type segment of the membranes market
The membranes market is segmented based on type into polymeric, ceramic, and others. Among these, the polymeric segment accounted for the largest market share in 2015 due to the easy availability and cost-efficiency of polymeric membranes. These membranes are also suitable for various applications, such as water & wastewater treatment, industrial processing, medical & pharmaceutical, and so on. The ceramic segment is projected to grow at the highest CAGR during the forecast period. Ceramic membranes possess characteristics which include high porosity, high permeability, defined pore size, and good mechanical properties.
- Buy Research Report: UK In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Market size Surge at a Robust Pace in Terms of Revenue over COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: Combine Harvesters Market to Ride Wave of Profitability on Back of its Versatile Operations
- Buy Research Report: CMP Slurry Market to Grow Two-fold, as Novel CMP Slurries Expand Revenue Pool of Manufacturers
- Buy Research Report: Soil Compaction Machines to Witness Heightened Demand, Underpinned by Array of Infrastructural Initiatives by Government
- Buy Research Report: Luxury Eyewear Sales to Surpass US$ 50 Bn Mark by 2027; Eyeglasses Hold over 60% Market Share
Water & wastewater treatment: The largest application segment of the membranes market
The application segments of the membranes market include water & wastewater treatment, medical & pharmaceutical, food & beverage, industry processing, industrial gas processing, and others. The water & wastewater treatment segment accounted for the largest market share in 2015 due to the increasing usage of membranes for microbial removal, desalination of sea water, sewage treatment, wastewater treatment in chemical industries, processing of natural mineral water, production of potable water, and treatment of brackish water.
Asia-Pacific: The fastest growing market for membranes
The Asia-Pacific region is the fastest growing market for membranes. Factors driving the Asia-Pacific membranes are:
- Growing demand from the application sectors, such as water & wastewater treatment, medical & pharmaceutical, and food & beverage, in major countries of the region, such as China and India
- Increasing investments in the region’s membranes market
Scope of the Study Based on Technology:
- Reverse Osmosis
- Gas Separation
- Dialysis & Electro Dialysis
Membranes are the materials that act as selective barriers, allowing the passage of certain constituents, while retaining others. Membranes are also termed as filtration elements and are widely used in water treatment and gas processing applications. With recent developments in membrane materials and increasing demand for reduction of energy consumption in the chemical processing industry, newer membranes and processes are being developed for new applications.