- "We will find out the networks who facilitated in transporting the materials (rockets) used in the attack," Saleh said on his Facebook page after a meeting with security officials.
- The attackers fired 23 rockets into the center of Kabul, close to the Green Zone.
- The terrorist group, ISIS claimed the attack on Saturday, according to SITE Intelligence Group.
The number of victims of Saturday’s attack in Kabul rose to 10 deaths and 51 wounded, according to a new assessment carried out today by the Afghan vice president, who vowed to bring the culprits to book. The previous balance pointed to eight dead and 31 injured before it rose up.
“We will find out the networks who facilitated in transporting the materials (rockets) used in the attack,” Saleh said on his Facebook page after a meeting with security officials.
The previous balance pointed to eight dead and 31 injured before it rose up.
The attackers fired 23 rockets into the center of Kabul, close to the Green Zone, an area where several embassies and international companies are located, as well as the government palace and other government structures.
The rockets reached densely populated areas, including a hospital.
The Iranian embassy in Kabul stated that one of the rockets also landed at its compound. “Fortunately, there were no casualties and all Embassy’s staff are in good health. #Afghanistan,” the diplomatic mission tweeted.
In a statement, the terrorist group, ISIS claimed the attack on Saturday, according to SITE Intelligence Group that tracks online activity of jihadist organizations. A spokesman for the Taliban insurgent group denied its involvement.
The group had already claimed responsibility for some of the bloodiest attacks in recent months, such as the one against the University of Kabul in early November and another against an educational center in October.
However, Afghan government officials have held the Taliban or their allies responsible for the attacks and have done the same for Saturday’s attack.
In the past six months, the Taliban have carried out 53 suicide attacks and 1,250 attacks that have claimed 1,210 deaths and 2,500 injuries among civilians, Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said this week .
The country continues to be affected by the violence, although negotiations have been ongoing between Kabul and the Taliban since September 12.
Saturday’s blasts came on the same day the Secretary of US State, Mike Pompeo met in Qatar with negotiators extremist movement isl â mico Taliban and the Afghan government, days after the US announced a substantial withdrawal of troops in that country.
The meetings with both parties take place after acting Secretary of Defense Christopher C. Miller officially announced on Tuesday the partial withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan. Of the current 4,500, only 2,500 would remain therein after January 15 , 2021.
U.S. President Donald Trump promised, upon assuming the US Presidency in 2017, to end the presence of American soldiers in Afghan territory, but was persuaded by the generals to leave the soldiers therein to help stabilize the situation in the country.
In late February, the Taliban and the United States signed a historic agreement in Doha, with the Americans announcing the withdrawal of troops within 14 months, with the other party pledging to prevent Afghan territory from providing support to the activities of terrorists in the future.