- Amnesty International reported on Friday that at least 50 people had been killed in attacks in Afghanistan.
- "The world must stand up and take note: 'Afghan civilians are being slaughtered."
- "I strongly condemn today’s coward suicide attack on a learning centre in #Kabul...." Abdullah tweeted.
While the Taliban and government officials talk about peace, the conflict in Afghanistan continues. Nine civilians died in a bomb explosion in the east of the country and elsewhere, a suicide bomber killed several students in Kabul. Almost 30 people were killed and numerous others injured in attacks in Afghanistan.
In the capital Kabul, a suicide bomber wanted to gain access to an education center in the western district of Dascht-e Bartschi and was discovered by security forces.
According to the Interior Ministry, the man then blew himself up in an alley. He killed at least 18 people with him. Many of them were students at the center. Another 57 suffered injuries, according to the authorities.
Abdullah Abdullah, chairman of the Afghan High Council for Reconciliation, strongly condemned the attack. “I strongly condemn today’s coward suicide attack on a learning centre in #Kabul.
My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families at this difficult time. Targeting innocent people and terrorizing the population is not the solution to the country’s issues,” Abdullah tweeted.
Eleven Dead in the East of the Country
Earlier on the same day, nine people had been killed by a roadside bomb in the eastern province of Ghazni. The explosive device exploded when a minibus drove by, said a provincial police spokesman.
When police rushed to help, a second explosive device went off and killed two officers. The media also speak of four injured security guards. No terror group claimed this attack but the police spokesman blamed it on the Taliban.
The radical Islamic group is apparently using the attacks as leverage in the negotiations. The US special envoy for Afghanistan, Zalmay Khalilzad, warned this week of the threat to the peace process from the violence.
Amnesty International reported on Friday that at least 50 people had been killed in attacks in Afghanistan last week alone. The human rights organization accused the parties to the conflict of failing to adequately protect the civilian population.
“The world must stand up and take note: ‘Afghan civilians are being slaughtered on a daily basis’ said Omar Waraich, Amnesty South Asia coordinator.
He called on the international community to make the protection of civilians “a key requirement for their support for the peace process”. The Afghan authorities were also criticized this week after 11 children were killed in an army airstrike in the northeastern province of Tachar on Wednesday.
The government in Kabul rejected the criticism, stating that all those killed were Taliban fighters.
NATO in a Dilemma
Against the background of developments in Afghanistan, NATO sees itself in a dilemma, according to Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg.
If all foreign troops withdrew from the Hindu Kush too quickly, Afghanistan could very quickly become a haven for terrorists again, said Stoltenberg at a video conference of the NATO defense ministers.
If NATO troops remained in Afghanistan, however, the intra-Afghan peace process would be in danger, as the Taliban insist that all foreign troops should leave the country.