Canadian Foreign Minister: The World Waits for Iran’s Proper Response

  • “Families want answers, the international community wants answers, the world is waiting for answers and we will not rest until we get them.”
  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson called for a "comprehensive, transparent and independent international investigation" into the tragedy.
  • Canada's Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau, sent two investigators to Iran yesterday as part of an international team.

Canadian Foreign Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne promised that Iran would be “pressured” to respond to the “exact cause” of the downing of the Ukrainian aircraft. “The world is waiting for the answer and will not calm down until the right answer is received,” he said in London today. Foreign ministers of five countries whose citizens were killed by two Iranian Revolutionary Guards missiles fired on Ukrainian planes met on Tuesday to pressure Tehran into conducting “full and transparent” investigations into the tragedy.

François-Philippe Champagne is a Canadian politician currently serving as Minister of Foreign Affairs. He previously served as Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and Minister of International Trade.

At the joint meeting, Champagne called for a transparent investigation into international aviation law, noting today that five articles were drafted, aimed at free access to evidence of the incident in Iran, and identifying victims. Noting that the Islamic Republic of Iran has accepted full responsibility for the incident, he emphasized that “only transparent and thorough investigations” can identify the root causes of the incident. In another part of his remarks, he said “families want answers, the international community wants answers, the world is waiting for answers and we will not rest until we get them.”  He added that by pressuring Tehran, it would seek “the exact cause” of the incident, identify those responsible, and bring justice to the victims’ families.

The Associated Press also reported from London that the Foreign Ministers of Canada, Britain, Sweden, Ukraine, and Afghanistan today, as representatives of their governments, issued a statement calling on Tehran to accept “full responsibility” for the downing of the Ukrainian plane, and to compensate the victims’ families. Prior to their joint meeting, visiting London’s Trafalgar Square, they lit candles to remind their citizens who were passengers of the flight, as well as the crew of the missing Ukrainian plane.

Comprehensive, Transparent and Independent International Research

Earlier, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson called for a “comprehensive, transparent and independent international investigation” into the tragedy. The Canadian government also issued a statement calling for a “formal investigation” into the matter.

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 (PS752) was a scheduled international passenger flight from Tehran to Kiev operated by Ukraine International Airlines, or UIA. On 8 January 2020, the Boeing 737-800 operating the route was shot down shortly after takeoff from Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps of Iran, which attributed it to human error.

Canadian investigators are ready

Canada’s Minister of Transport, Marc Garneau, sent two investigators to Iran yesterday as part of an international team, saying cooperation was good. He also called for Canada’s official participation in the investigation process. Noting that the black box is in Iran’s possession, Mr. Garneau said two other Canadian special investigators were ready to investigate the information at any time and place.

A Boeing Ukraine International Airlines plane crashed on January 8th, after being shot down by two Revolutionary Guards ballistic missiles. Flight 752 crashed minutes after taking off from Imam Khomeini International Airport, killing all 176 aboard. Iranian officials initially blamed technical failure for the crash over Tehran, but later admitted that the shoot down was “inadvertent and unintentional.”

Evidence quickly came forward disproving Iran’s claim. It was targeted by IRGC aerospace missiles. The release of a new video shows the plane being shot down by two rockets. The video shows that the IRGC fired two missiles at the aircraft, in spite of initial statements made by the Islamic Republic authorities.

Only $1/click

Submit Your Ad Here

Joyce Davis

My history goes back to 2002 and I  worked as a reporter, interviewer, news editor, copy editor, managing editor, newsletter founder, almanac profiler, and news radio broadcaster.


Leave a Reply