Coronavirus — 421 New Cases, One Death in Nepal

According to the Ministry of Health and Population, coronavirus infection has been confirmed in 421 more people in Nepal in the last 24 hours. At the same time, the total number of confirmed cases has reached 9,026 by Saturday afternoon. Of those, 1,772 have recovered and 23 have died.

The first case of COVID-19 pandemic was confirmed in Nepal on 23 January 2020 when a 31-year-old student, who had returned to Kathmandu from Wuhan on 9 January, tested positive for the disease. A total of 9,561 cases have been confirmed as of 22 June 2020, affecting 76 of the 77 administrative districts. 2,148 of them have recovered, while 23 have died.

In the last 24 hours, a total of 194 people returned home from the hospital free of coronavirus, said Jageshwar Gautam, spokesperson for Nepal Health Ministry. According to him, COVID-19 has been confirmed after the death of a person who was staying in home quarantine after returning from India for treatment in Gulmi.

The man returned on May 8, and died on June 15, Gautam said. His body has been managed with the help of the Nepal Army, the Ministry said. The infected people found now are from different districts. The highest number of coronaviruses was found in 641 people on July 19. So far, the highest number of people with COVID-19 has been found in Provinces No. 2 and 5.

Coronavirus Infection in Nepal

This is the order in which the infection appears. According to the ministry, 6,008 samples were tested using the PCR method in the last 24 hours. At the same time, the number of tests used to confirm coronavirus infection has reached 1,75,173. So far, COVID-19 has been confirmed in 75 districts.

Government officials say the number of infected people has risen as tests on people in quarantine have been stepped up. At present, 94,928 people are in quarantine across the country. Most of them have returned from India.

According to the government’s statistics, the highest number of people kept in quarantine in Far Western Province, Province No. 5, Karnali Province, and Province No. 2.

Who is Infected?

Of those infected, 64 were women and 257 were men, the Ministry said. The most infected districts are Arghakhanchi, Dadeldhura, Doti, Kailali, Kapilvastu, Nawalparasi West, Pyuthan, Siraha, and Baglung. Of the total confirmed cases so far, about 90 percent (8,206) are men and the remaining 820 are women.

Speaking at a press briefing organized by the Ministry, the Director of Epidemiology and Disease Control Division, Dr. Vasudev Pandey, said that 95 percent of the infected came from India and 92 percent of them are men.

He said that most of the infected were in the age group of 15 to 54 years and 98 percent did not show any symptoms of COVID-19. According to him, the number of infected people has doubled in the last six to eight days.

The total number of infected people was 4,614 on June 13, and 2,300 on June 7. The number of infected people had exceeded 1,000 on May 30. The number of infected people had crossed 500 on May 25.

Karnali Pradesh is one of the seven federal provinces of Nepal formed by the new constitution which was adopted on 20 September 2015. It is the largest and least-populous province in Nepal.

Five Karnali State Hospital Health Workers Infected

Coronavirus infection has been confirmed in five health workers working at Karnali State Hospital, Surkhet. The 42 health workers involved in the treatment of the three patients were kept in quarantine after the coronavirus infection was found in the emergency room of the state hospital from June 13 to 15.

Dr. Dambar Khadka, director of the state hospital, said that five of the 42 people kept in quarantine had coronavirus infection. According to him, all of them have been treated in the isolation of the state hospital.

In June, two patients from Dailekh, and one from Surkhet ,were being treated in the emergency room of the state hospital. Among them, one patient from Dailekh was suffering from tuberculosis, while another from Dailekh, and one from Surkhet, had taken poison and were treated in the emergency room.

Only $1/click

Submit Your Ad Here

Benedict Kasigara

I have been working as a freelance editor/writer since 2006. My specialist subject is film and television having worked for over 10 years from 2005 during which time I was the editor of the BFI Film and Television.

Leave a Reply