- "It has come to our attention that 18 officers tested positive for the disease out of 128 samples," said the PS.
- Muturi dismissed rumors that several members of the parliament had tested positive for the virus, and made the parliament a hotbed of controversy.
- On July 29, Chief Justice David Maraga ordered the court to close because one member of the staff had been diagnosed with the coronavirus.
On Monday, 18 government officers working for the Ministry of Devolution in Kenya were asked to leave the office and isolate alone for two weeks as the country was heavily hit by the coronavirus epidemic. The test was conducted on July 23 with 128 samples and 18 samples were positive.
Devolution Principal Secretary Charles Sunkuli reported the results in a signed certificate. The Principal Secretary (PS) was inspired by a note sent to a number of officials and distributed to the media.
“Following the mass testing for COVID-19 that was done on July 23, 2020, it has come to our attention that 18 officers tested positive for the disease out of 128 samples,” said the PS. “The purpose of this memo is to request you to inform all officers working in your departments to isolate themselves for the next two weeks from 3rd to 16th August, 2020.”
“I wish to thank the officers who undertook the test and since the test results were delayed, we need to do a further testing after the two weeks,” PS said.
These workers will be re-tested on a large scale on August 17. Many governments and private institutions are currently affected by the epidemic. On June 30, Speaker of the National Assembly Justin Muturi revealed that two members of Kenya parliament were tested and found infected with the coronavirus.
Muturi dismissed rumors that several members of the parliament had tested positive for the virus, and made the parliament a hotbed of controversy. In addition to rumors reported in the media and elsewhere, the information provided to the House of Representatives also highlights two viral cases reported by members of Kenya parliament.
The PS said the government will continue to work with the Ministry of Health to ensure that Parliament and all users are protected from the disease. Both the National Assembly and the Senate have been forced to implement health and safety agreements to combat the spread of the virus.
These measures include social distance, a ban on changing seats, and a ban on the appearance of members over the age of 58 or members with basic health conditions in the House of Representatives.
On July 29, Chief Justice David Maraga ordered the court to close because one member of the staff had been diagnosed with the coronavirus and other staff members had similar symptoms. According to the Chief Justice, the employee was suspended for two weeks from interacting with others.
A statement from Chief Justice’s office said that the head of the judiciary, in consultation with the Ministry of Health, has taken the necessary steps to stop the spread of coronavirus in court. All court staff can isolate and be tested before proceeding with their activities.
CJ Maraga, for his part, said “various department heads and court officials will be closed and instructed on how to deal with the affected cases.” He added that the court’s activities will be conducted online.
There are other events besides this which include the closure of the Legion Court after two positive tests and the closure of the Motoga Court after 11 positive tests found. The government has offered a security deal to fight the virus. These measures include walking from evening to morning, wearing masks, and being away from the community.