- Seven people were Kenyans and the eighth was a Burundian, but all came from abroad with infections.
- The government continues to urge the public to maintain hygiene standards, including emphasizing the procedure provided to control the spread of the virus.
- The Kenyan government has also warned its citizens over the spread of fake news.
Kenya’s Ministry of Health said the results of eight tests in the last 24 hours have shown no new cases of infection in the country. That means the number of Covid-19 infections in the country remains seven. Addressing journalists in Nairobi, the minister Mutahi Kagwe said that by Thursday, the eight people whose samples were taken for testing were currently undergoing procedures to be allowed to leave the hospital.
To date, Kenya has evaluated 173 cases. Kagwe said seven people were Kenyans and the eighth was a Burundian, but all came from abroad with infections. “All seven Kenyans are doing well,” he said. He also said that more than 600,000 people had left Kenya since the first Covid-19 case had been reported.
The government continues to urge the public to maintain hygiene standards, including emphasizing the procedure provided to control the spread of the virus. Earlier this week President Uhuru Kenyatta announced the closure of all schools and institutions of higher learning in the country. Minister Kagwe said the President’s directive does not mean parents send their children to markets or restaurants, to entertain and interact with their peers, but it aims to prevent further Covid-19 infections, especially at public meetings.
“This is not the holiday season, it’s time to fight Covid-19,” he reiterated. “We were aiming to get rid of the congestion,” Mr. Kagwe said. The minister also announced that beginning Saturday, the health department, in collaboration with the Red Cross agency and security officials, will begin testing people suspected of possible Covid-19 infections.
He has also ordered the local government system through chiefs and their deputies to assist in the exercise, including identifying each resident and assessing their health status. He has demanded that recreational facilities abide by the rules promulgated, such as maintaining a high standard of cleanliness as well as running their activities for a set period. Otherwise, their licenses will be revoked.
In addition, the minister expressed shock at the “news” that was circulating on the Internet that the city of Nairobi would be under lockdown out of fear of Covid-19, with people being turned away by military personnel and patrols. He pointed out that such false information is misleading to the public.
He has warned that anyone caught using such information will be arrested, face severe legal consequences, “and we will take him to Mbagathi Hospital to see the situation he reports from there.” He said, “I urge Kenyans to be calm, the news on the internet is misleading and provocative.”
However, Minister Kagwe has wanted the public to know that the coronavirus is dangerous, urging people to take precautionary measures against infection.
Kenyans are encouraged to maintain a level of hygiene both in themselves and in their environment, especially by washing their hands with jelly. They also need to avoid public meetings and when interacting with people, to make sure they are standing or sitting at least one meter away from their nearest neighbor. For those who can do their work from home, they are encouraged to do so.