- Departure of the Chinese was in line with Kenya's plan to repatriate two months ago to repatriate its foreign nationals following the COVID-19 explosion.
- On Friday morning it was reported that hundreds of Chinese were queuing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) ready to board a chartered plane to leave.
- Kenya has adequate equipment to protect health workers against COVID-19 infection, the Ministry of Health has said.
The Kenyan government has denied allegations that Chinese nationals are fleeing the country due to an increase in cases of coronavirus infection in the country. Instead, Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe on Friday said Chinese nationals who had left the country had made plans to travel using approved procedures.
International flights were restored in Kenya today. Kagwe said the departure of the Chinese was in line with Kenya’s plan two months ago to repatriate its foreign nationals following the COVID-19 explosion.
On Friday morning it was reported that hundreds of Chinese were queuing at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) ready to board a chartered plane to leave the country.
Women and Children
Later in the evening, Mr. Kagwe told reporters in Nairobi that “there are many Chinese nationals in the country and their travels are not important now. There are many Kenyans who have left many nations in the same way so it doesn’t look like they escaped from any fear.”
“They don’t know anything and we don’t know. They only travel like other people,” he explained, ignoring allegations that the Chinese government had decided to deport its Kenyan citizens following an increase in coronavirus infection.
It will be recalled that in June, the Kenyan government also denied allegations that a total of 200 Chinese left the country at night for fear of a coronavirus catastrophe.
Kagwe: Kenya has Enough PPE
Kenya has adequate equipment to protect health workers against COVID-19 infection, the Ministry of Health has said. Minister Kagwe on Wednesday urged Kenyans not to worry, saying the government has protected health facilities with adequate equipment, PPE.
At a press conference in Nairobi, while reporting on the country’s coronavirus infection less than 24 hours ago, the Minister however said some health workers were ignoring strategies to prevent them from becoming infected.
“I make it clear that we have adequate equipment (PPE) to prevent our health workers from contracting COVID-19. Some of the cases of infection that we are hearing about are due to malpractice,” Mr. Kagwe said.
In addition, he said so far a total of 634 attendants have been confirmed infected with the coronavirus. The minister said the number was very low, compared to other nations in the world.
“Health workers, I urge you to maintain integrity among you. What we say, implement it. Let us preach to drink water, and let us drink it, but not to do the opposite,” Mr. Kagwe said. He was appearing to target ministers who violated the rules and strategies put in place to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
The minister announced that less than 24 hours ago, 544 people had been diagnosed with COVID-19, a total of 19,125 cases registered in the country. Kagwe urged Kenyans to be accountable and to avoid clashes, urging them to abide by the rules and strategies put in place to prevent further spread.
Over the past 24 hours, Kenya has confirmed the tragedy of 12 coronavirus deaths. To date, the death toll from COVID-19 has reached 311. Meanwhile, 113 patients have been discharged from various health facilities in the country, after being fully recovered. The figure brings the total to 8,021 certified coronavirus in the country.