- The good news is that 75 coronavirus patients have recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of survivors in Kenya to 7,908.
- Minister Kagwe has urged all workers to work in their homes.
- A man was arraigned in court on Monday for allegedly publishing that a minister was in the ICU for COVID-19.
The death toll from Kenya’s COVID-19 pandemic is approaching 300, according to figures released by the government on Tuesday. Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe announced that 14 other people had died from the virus within 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 299.
In addition, the number of patients diagnosed with the disease has reached 18,581, after the Minister of Health announced another 606 patients. Of the new patients, 583 are Kenyan nationals with 23 being foreign nationals, 409 men and 197 women. The youngest patient is a four-month-old baby while the oldest person is 85 years old.
However, the good news is that 75 coronavirus patients have recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of survivors in Kenya to 7,908. These patients come from different places.
Number of Patients According to County
Nairobi has registered 448 patients, Kajiado 25, Machakos 16, Uasin Gishu 11, Nakuru 11, Kericho 9, Busia 7, Mombasa 7, Garissa 6, Bomet 3, Nyeri 2, Narok 2, Nandi 2, Embu, Lamu, Murang’a and individual patients. In Nairobi, the Embakasi area is said to be overcrowded, and the minister has urged residents to take precautions.
Kagwe has urged all workers to work in their homes. He urged parents to insist that their children wash their hands and apply sanitizer. Kagwe responded to President Uhuru Kenyatta’s call by saying no one would be pitied despite his role when it comes to ensuring that the conditions of the coronavirus are met.
He urged Kenyans not to allow visitors to their homes or even to visit the countryside in the event of an emergency. Four health officials are among those who died from the virus in the country. The Kenya Nurses Union (NNAK) on Tuesday expressed concern over the increase in COVID-19 among health workers across the country.
NNAK President Alfred Obengo, in a statement to the media, revealed that by July 28, more than 500 health officials had been infected with the virus. “With these tragic events happening we have already lost eight health workers across the country from five in Nairobi and one by one from Wajir, Kajiado, and Mombasa,” he said.
Obengo called on the national and county governments to ensure that all health officials wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
Man Charged in Court
A man was arraigned in court on Monday for allegedly publishing misleading and false information on social media that Kenya Security Minister Dr. Fred Matiang’ i had been admitted to the intensive care unit suffering from COVID-19.
Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku ordered that the accused, Isaac Kibet Yego, be detained for two days to help the police complete the investigation against him.
Ms. Mutuku ordered the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to detain Mr. Yego for two days instead of 14. It is alleged that the accused posted false and misleading allegations on his Facebook page, known as the “Daily Star.”
“When police arrested the suspect on July 25, 2020, in a village near Eldoret, Uasin Gishu County, they confiscated his phones with the intention of further investigating them in the cybercrime unit,” said Ms. Nyamosi receiving. He will return to court on July 29 to face charges.
Elsewhere, young people across the country have been warned against the misuse of social media, especially by politicians who have a secret agenda. A coalition of young leaders from the North Rift region wants young people used by such politicians to spread propaganda through social media to refrain from such behavior.
The leader of the North Rift coalition, Mr. Collins Chepkalei, said many young people were unaware of the law on espionage and misuse of the internet. He was speaking in Eldoret on Sunday during a youth awareness campaign about the effects of violating social media abuse laws.
“Many young people do not know the law on the misuse of the internet which is why they are so easily manipulated by politicians to spread propaganda without knowing the consequences of what they are doing,” said Mr. Chepkalei.
Chepkalei also warned politicians against funding young people to spread abusive and lying campaigns online against their opponents. He urged the National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) and the director of Criminal Investigation (DCI) to take strong action against such youths as well as the politicians who sponsor them.
The leader said cases of youths abusing social media were on the rise in Uasin Gishu County where in recent days, the youths have been targeting Kesses MP Misra Swarup and Uasin Gishu Governor Jackson Mandago.