- "There shall be no sale of alcoholic drinks in eateries, restaurants across the territory of the Kenya effective Monday midnight for 30 days," said President Kenyatta.
- The curfew from 3 PM to 5 AM will continue for another 30-day period.
- Kenya's health ministry has announced that 440 more patients have been infected with the coronavirus, bringing the total number of infected in the country to 17,975.
There will be no alcohol sales in restaurants and food outlets for the next 30 days, said Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta. President Kenyatta has said all bars will be closed immediately, adding that those who violate the new order will have their licenses revoked.
“There shall be no sale of alcoholic drinks in eateries, restaurants across the territory of the Kenya effective Monday midnight for 30 days,” said President Kenyatta. “The Inspector-General of the National Police Service shall cause the withdrawal of all licenses for bars operating in breach of this directive.”
He added that “the Inspector General shall file a weekly return of all bars whose licenses have been withdrawn to the Cabinet Secretary for Interior and Co-ordination of National Government.”
In addition, President Kenyatta has stated that the curfew from 3 PM to 5 AM will continue for another 30-day period. He urged Kenyans to dispel the misconception that low mortality rates mean that the disease is not dangerous.
“Our problem is the increase in the number of patients infected with the virus and in areas such as Nairobi where the disease has increased, young people have been infecting their parents,” he said. President Kenyatta added that the dangerous acts committed by young people at this time have endangered the lives of others in the community.
The increase in COVID-19 patients comes after his July 6 speech in which he lifted some of the conditions including allowing people from counties identified to have high infections, such as Nairobi, Mandera, and Mombasa, to travel.
The problem has been with economic stagnation with many corporations laying off workers and others cutting their workers’ salaries, apart from businesses to estimate huge losses due to the ban on public gatherings.
At least 44 out of 47 counties have already reported coronavirus infections. It is Baringo County, West Pokot County, and Mandera County that have never reported a coronavirus patient. Last month, President Kenyatta withdrew transport from Nairobi, Mombasa, and Mandera from June 7.
However, President Kenyatta increased the curfew between 3 PM and 5 AM for another 30 days. President Kenyatta, who issued the order for the removal of some of the conditions, warned that if the situation worsened and posed a challenge to the health sector, he would reinstate the conditions.
Meanwhile, Kenya’s health ministry has announced that 440 more patients have been infected with the coronavirus, bringing the total number of infected in the country to 17,975. In a statement, Health Minister Mutahi Kagwe reported the testing of 3,197 samples in a 24-hour period, increasing the total number of samples tested in the country to 279,612.
The youngest patient was one year old while the oldest was 84. The female patients were reported to be 154 and the male at 286. The total number of Kenyans reported is 437, while the rest are foreign nationals.
Minister Kagwe also announced that five more people have died from the disease, a step that will increase the number to 285, while another 90 people are reported to have recovered, bringing the total number of survivors to 7,833.