- Two weeks ago, the Ugandan government launched a mandatory quarantine policy for travelers arriving in the country from 16 countries.
- The Ugandan action came just hours after a German tourist died from coronavirus in Egypt.
- The number of cases doubled in Rwanda Monday, with the number now standing at 41.
Uganda’s President, Yoweri Museveni, has banned the use of public transport in Uganda. In his speech to the nation, Mr. Museveni announced a ban on all public transport, including boda boda (motorcycles). Small buses and large buses leading to rural areas, as well as trains and cars, are also banned.
Private vehicles can be used, but will now be required to carry only three people, including the driver. The markets will also remain open, but they will only be selling food. The move comes after the nation confirmed five more cases of coronavirus, including the case of an eight-month-old baby. The total number of cases in Uganda now stands at 14 people.
Two weeks ago, the Ugandan government launched a mandatory quarantine policy for travelers arriving in the country from 16 countries at “high risk” to prevent the spread of Coronavirus. Britain, the United States, and several European countries are among the countries that will be affected by Uganda’s new travel policy. Last week, the East African nation announced a similar action against seven nations. The government also said that travelers arriving at Entebbe International Airport would soon be under quarantine.
The move to control foreign arrivals in Uganda from countries affected by the disease means Covid-19 will not affect many people if an infected person is treated appropriately. On March 9, health ministry officials in Uganda said that approximately 22 foreign nationals were deported to their countries while fears of coronavirus infection continued.
Uganda hosted an international conference on trade that started in the country three weeks ago. According to the country’s health minister, the citizens refused to go on leave for 14 days on arrival at Entebbe International Airport. Neither of them had any symptoms or signs of COVID-19.
“We told them about our steps to keep themselves in quarantine for 14 days. However, they were not ready to follow our instructions. Today they will return to their homes,” Health Minister Dr. Jane Ruth Aceng, said. The Ugandan action came just hours after a German tourist died from coronavirus in a touristy Sinai area in eastern Egypt, becoming the first recorded death in Africa.
The 60-year-old German man showed signs of fever and was admitted to Hurghada hospital on March 6, before being diagnosed with the disease, the health ministry said. The tourist, who arrived from Germany a week ago, died after refusing to be evacuated to an isolated area after suffering serious lung disease. On Saturday, the health ministry announced 45 cases of Egyptian and foreign nationals accused of contracting the virus in a single ship on the Nile.
41 Cases in Rwanda
At least 17 new coronavirus patients were announced on Monday in Rwanda, which increased the number of infections in the country to 36 people. That number has since reached 41. According to a report by the Ministry of Health of Rwanda, the analysis of the 17 patients is nine travelers to Rwanda from Dubai, three from Kenya, two from the United States, one from India and one from Qatar.
One person has also been infected with the virus after being in contact with someone who was previously diagnosed. According to the ministry’s statement, both travelers entered Rwanda between the March 17th and 20th. At least 36 of the 41 patients are, according to the Rwandan Ministry of Health, undergoing treatment and are in good condition.