- "Many people are understandably fed up with being at home (and) countries are understandably eager to open up their societies."
- Dr. Mike Ryan drew attention to the situation in Brazil, where he said 1,230 people had died of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, several provinces are imposing a quarantine on arrivals from Beijing, as the virus has returned from Europe.
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has warned that the COVID-19 virus continues to spread quickly, remains deadly, and most people are susceptible to it. He noted that on Thursday, WHO organs recorded more than 150,000 infections in the highest daily toll since the outbreak of the epidemic.
“We are in a new and dangerous phase,” he said, warning that restrictive measures are still needed to stop the pandemic. “Many people are understandably fed up with being at home (and) countries are understandably eager to open up their societies.”
“We have a shared duty to everything we can to prevent, detect, and respond to the transmission of COVID-19 detected among refugees in hospitals.” Ghebreyesus, whose leadership has been heavily criticized by US President Donald Trump, urged people to maintain social estrangement and “extreme caution.”
Statistics count, as of 13:26 GMT yesterday, showed that the number of people infected with the newer global virus, Coronavirus, had more than 8 million people, while 453,834 patients have already died. More than half of the new infections have been recorded on the American continent, but the virus is also spreading in South Asia and the Middle East.
WHO emergency expert Dr. Mike Ryan drew attention to the situation in Brazil, where he said 1,230 people had died of COVID-19 in the past 24 hours. In what appears to be a second wave of the epidemic, 25 new cases were recorded Friday in Beijing, raising the number of cases detected since last week to 183 in the Chinese capital, where 21 million residents live.
The movement of people inside and outside the city is subject to strict controls in addition to tests to detect COVID-19 disease. Residents in high-risk areas have been placed in quarantine in their areas, and also required them to take tests. All kindergartens, primary and secondary schools were closed.
Meanwhile, several provinces are imposing a quarantine on arrivals from Beijing, while schools have ordered them to close again and return to education via the Internet. Beijing Municipal spokesperson Zhou Hejian warned Tuesday that the epidemiological situation in the capital is “very serious.”
Published scientific data indicates the copy of the virus responsible for the epidemic boom in Beijing appeared in Europe several weeks or months ago. “It is possible that the virus that is causing a pandemic today in Beijing may have spread from Wuhan to Europe and has now returned to China,” said Ben Kolling, a professor at the School of Public Health at the University of Hong Kong.
For its part, the Italian health authorities called for “caution,” after noting “alarming indications about the transmission of” COVID-19 infection last week, especially in Rome. They noted that “the transmission of the virus is still strong.”
In its last report for the week between 8 and 14 June, the Higher Institute of Health in Italy noted that “in some areas, a high number of cases of COVID-19 continues to be reported,” adding that although “the overall situation is positive,” the Institute notes “some indications associated with transmission.”