- Sustainable e-commerce packaging is gaining major traction since recent past.
- Asia Pacific held a dominant position in the market.
- The global e-commerce packaging market is marked by intense competition from major manufacturers operating in this market.
The e-commerce packaging market is bolstered by increasing e-commerce sales around the world. E-commerce has transformed retail sector and it is gaining significant market share in place of conventional retail channels such as hypermarkets, supermarkets, and convenience stores. The primary function of e-commerce packaging is to protect products from environmental damage and contamination such as dust, moisture, and microbes. Moreover, protection from damage is important for products such as electronics and furniture. E-commerce packaging is also important in terms of branding and customer retention. The use of sustainable and/or aesthetically appealing packaging material led to increased resale of products, according to a Stora Enso Oyj survey.
Sustainable e-commerce packaging is gaining major traction since recent past. Chinese e-commerce players such as JD.com and Suning.com are adopting reusable plastic boxes, which is cost-effective and generates low waste. JD.com also announced that it aims to raise the proportion of sustainable materials to 80% of its total packaging material used by 2020, due to high waste generation from packaging. According to Chinese government sources, on Singles Day 2017, a popular Chinese holiday, over 160,000 tons of waste was generated as e-commerce players recorded sales of $52 billion.
- Buy Research Report: Mobility on Demand Market Driven by Growing Smartphone Penetration
- Buy Research Report: GCC In-Vitro Diagnostic Devices Market Grow Say Healthcare Industry
- Buy Research Report: By the End of 2027, the Biochip Products Research, Manufacturing and Service Market is Estimated to Reach $11 Billion in Value
- I Will Create and Optimize Facebook Ads Campaign for Your Business
- I Will Setup and Optimize Google Adwords Campaign for High Conversion
- News writing In Communal News and Google news-promote your brand- SEO
- Buy Research Report: N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone Market Analysis
- Buy Research Report: Germany and France to be Prominent Markets in Europe Advanced CO2 Sensor Market
- Buy Research Report: Location Analytics Market is Building a Better Future for Customers and Key Players
- Buy Research Report: Eye Health Supplements Market to Surpass $3.418 Billion by 2027
In terms of revenue, Asia Pacific held a dominant position in the market in 2016, and is expected to maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period. According to Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry in India (ASSOCHAM), an industry trade association, the e-commerce market accounted for $38.5 billion in 2017 and is projected to exceed $50 billion by 2025. This can be attributed to an increasing internet penetration rate in India. According to the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), the number of people with access to internet in India is projected to reach 500 million by June 2018. The aforementioned factors coupled with strong GDP growth and increasing purchasing power of consumers will result in India being the fastest growing market for e-commerce in the world, which in turn is expected to boost growth of the e-commerce packaging market in the region. Amazon India, Flipkart, and Snapdeal are among the major e-commerce players operating in India. The e-commerce packaging demand in India will largely be dictated by the performance of these companies in the market.
Europe and North America region have high internet and smartphone penetration. According to the World Bank, average rate of internet penetration in Europe and North America is 75% and 78% respectively. The market in these regions is driven by shifting consumer preference from offline retail channels to e-commerce. Amazon Inc. is the largest e-commerce player in North America. The company recorded a revenue of $149 billion in 2016 in the U.S. alone and accounted for over 38% of the e-commerce market in the U.S. According to the Fibre Box Association (U.S.), the boxes segment is expected to witness significant demand from the e-commerce industry. This is largely due to increased demand for products such as furnishings, electronics, and consumer goods which typically utilize boxes as packaging.
Among product type, protective packaging accounted for 33.23% of the market share and was valued at $7.12 billion in 2017. It is expected to be the largest and the fastest growing segment throughout the forecast period. The segment’s dominance can be attributed to increasing electronics and food & beverages sales from online platforms.
The global e-commerce packaging market is marked by intense competition from major manufacturers operating in this market. Strategic mergers and acquisitions, product innovations, and joint ventures are some of the key strategies adopted by these companies to ensure long-term sustenance in the market. Some of the major players operating in the market are Smurfit Kappa Group, Mondi Group plc, International Paper Company, DS Smith plc, Klabin S.A., Rengo Co. Ltd., Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd., and Georgia-Pacific LLC.