- Electric buses have demonstrated rapid growth over the past few years and are expected to lead the overall electric vehicles market.
- Currently, there are approximately 400,000 electric buses operating worldwide, with China accounting for more than 95% of the total fleet.
- Based on type, pure electric buses lead the market with more than 65%.
Among the overall electric vehicles sector, electric buses have demonstrated rapid growth over the past few years and are expected to lead the overall electric vehicles market over the forecast period. The overall electric buses market worldwide is set to grow with a CAGR of 22.9% through the forecast period starting from 92,200 units in 2017.
With ever-growing environmental concerns coupled with regulations, electric vehicles are witnessing profound demand worldwide, with China being the front runner. Despite the well-settled market for CNG vehicles, electric buses are expected to pose a tough competition to the former in the following years. Although electric buses are more expensive to purchase, these buses offer much lower maintenance and operation costs as compared to CNG and diesel operated buses. Subsequently, considering the environmental benefits and lower operating costs, electric buses are expected to register strong demand worldwide during the forecast period.
Currently, there are approximately 400,000 electric buses operating worldwide, with China accounting for more than 95% of the total fleet. The market is highly governed by the pure electric buses segment primarily due to tightening environmental regulations and continued efforts by governments towards minimizing fossil fuel consumption. With the aim of rapidly reducing air pollution, various national governments are now offering subsidies for bus operators in order to bring down the prices of electric buses closer to that of conventional diesel and CNG buses. This is another major factor in facilitating the rapid growth of the electric buses market worldwide.
- Buy Research Report: Forklift Trucks Market size See Incredible Growth during COVID-19 2025
- Buy Research Report: Hydrolyzed Collagen Market Conveying Valuable Data By 2026
- Buy Research Report: Advanced Ceramics Market Estimated Size Be Driven Size Innovation and Industrialization COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: Ink Solvent Market size Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast Period COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: GPU Database Market Poised size Expand at a Robust Pace Over COVID-19 2026
Based on type, pure electric buses lead the market with more than 65%, in terms of revenue and volume, of the total market size across the globe. On the basis of geography, Asia Pacific leads the overall electric buses market worldwide accounting for more than 60% of the global market size. Apart from China, countries including India, Japan, South Korea, and a few others are prominent markets for electric buses. The Asia Pacific region is followed by Europe having an extensive emphasis on reducing carbon emissions caused by road traffic.
The overall electric buses market is quite competitive in nature with market players focusing on producing more efficient products that can be used in countries having minimal infrastructure for electric vehicles. BYD Company is among the largest manufacturers of electric buses followed by Proterra, Inc. and few others. BYD Company possesses extensive product range and have presence across all the major markets globally. In addition, the company operates across most of the electric buses value chain, thereby positioned at a prominent place in the electric buses market.
Some of the major companies profiled in the report include BYD Company Ltd., AB Volvo, Alexander Dennis Ltd., Ashok Leyland Ltd., Daimler AG, Dongfeng Automobile Co. Ltd., EBUSCO BV, FAW Group, IVECO S.p.A., King Long United Automotive Industry Co. Ltd., Proterra Inc., Shenzhen Wuzhoulong Motors Co. Ltd., Skoda Auto a.s., Solaris Bus & Coach SA, Tata Motors Ltd., Zhengzhou Yutong Bus Co. Ltd. and Zhongtong Bus Holding Co. Ltd. among others.