- Russia continues to interfere with GPS signals.
- Israel reported three weeks of disturbance to their GPS signals.
- US reports confirm damage to F-35 fighter jets.
On February 7, 2020 the National Interest published an article, sourcing US Military reports, pertaining to Russian electronic warfare equipment deployed in Syria that caused serious damage to two of the most expensive US fighter jets – the F-35 and F-22. The systems of the latter came under powerful electronic influence and, most likely, became completely unusable, since they could not accurately determine the location in the airspace over Syria.
It is not the first incident of signal jamming by Russia. On July 13, 2019 (this past weekend) the European Union’s (EU’S) Galileo satellite went, or was taken, offline. Galileo is owned by the collective European Union, managed and operated by the European Space Agency, and is used for nonmilitary, scientific, and civilian purposes. The timing of the outage coincided with the launch of Russia’s “Spectr-RG” Spectrum-Rontgen-Gamma mission this past weekend. On January 22, 2020, Russia announced they are building satellite jamming stations as well. Russia also admitted using this system in Syria during combat operations in the 2015.
Israeli sources, according to the National Interest, believe three weeks of GPS disruption of civilian flights are the side effects of GPS jamming by Russian military in Syria. The signs and trajectory clearly indicate the use of the electronic warfare.
The purpose of the electronic warfare:
- Meddling into the functioning of the enemy’s army.
- Weapon control systems and reducing the effectiveness of the enemy’s use of weapons, military equipment, and electronic equipment.
- Protection of weapons, equipment, and significant objects from enemy reconnaissance devices.
- Protection of technical means of managing your troops and weapons.
Lately, the focus has been on the Krasucha system that was designed and developed at the Gradient Research Institute. The first samples were created and tested at the Kvant research and production facility in Novgorod. The serial production of Krasucha is carried out by JSC “BEM.”
This system is used for electronic warfare. It utilizes radio emissions for electronic destruction (suppression) of radio-electronic devices of technical systems for controlling troops, weapons, communications, and enemy intelligence to protect the electronic equipment of their own control systems.
- Buy Research Report: Diabetes Drugs Market Size and Future Development Status 2025
- Buy Research Report: Medical Mask Market to Witness Prolific Growth of 9%, COVID-19 to Boost Uptake of Medical Masks
- Buy Research Report: Cosmetic Wipes Sales to Decline in 2020 amid COVID-19, Growth Marginally Sustained through Online Channels
- Buy Research Report: Indium Gallium Arsenide (InGaAs) Market to Exhibit Dexterous 10% Growth through 2030
- Buy Research Report: Folded Tissues Sales to Soar amid COVID-19 Outbreak, Supply- Demand Gaps to Create Impediments
Krasucha’s technical specifications:
Krasukha 4 consists of two cars, equipped with radio-electronic devices and antennas, including ultra-modern digital technology, an antenna unit on a sliding rod, parabolic antennas that can transmit a signal on the azimuth and angle of the place without restrictions.
- KAMAZ-6350 and KAMAZ-6350-334 chassis.
- Container body.
- Ultra-frequency microwave equipment U52219 based on a traveling wave lamp.
- Wide-band antenna range from 30 to 108 MHz.
- The device is a telescopic mast.
- Radio stations R-168-5 and radio station R-168-100.
- Graphic information manipulator.
- Modules KLVS-08, LAN (local area network), CPU modules-11.
- The device for recording and transferring information of the uzpi is a micro-computer with a built-in storage device.
- Baguette-23B computer, BAGUETTE-RS3BM computer-protected computers used in military equipment.
- BRIZ-KM satellite navigation system.
- Apparatus for transmission of data.
- The automated levelling system.
- ADS10 diesel electric units – diesel power plants, Autonomous power sources.
- Oscilloscope and other devices.
- The operating frequency range is from 8000 to 18000 MHz.
- Energy potential – from 50 to 64 dB.
- Sector of action: by azimuth-360°, by place angle-from -1° to + 60° (+85°) .
- Capacity – 1 radar of the spacecraft and 1 aircraft of the e-8 JSTARS combat control and target designation system or 11 radar of tactical aircraft.
- Radius of the cover zone when the radar is suppressed.
- Tactical strike aircraft – 11-19 km.
- Reconnaissance and attack modules -16-41 km.
- Spacecraft – 15-25 km.
- Folding and deployment time: 20 minutes in summer and 40 minutes in winter.
- Prepare to work, not taking into account the minimize /maximize – 3 minutes.
- Continuous operation time is 24 hours.
- The power consumption is 30 kW.
However, it is highly unlikely that this system would be responsible for the incidents described in the US reports.
There is another device used by Russia that is highly likely responsible for all of this. In the mid 2000s, Russian scientists created a generator comparable in power to a nuclear power unit. The project was dubbed “Nika.” The designer of the device is Michael Yalandin. This unit is capable of generating a few billion watts. The portability of the device is an advantage.
Nika generates electromagnetic pulses. Therefore, this system is able to simulate interference from a lightning strike or even a nuclear explosion. A scientific report was published, but shortly afterward it disappeared. Russia created two versions of the portable device and more of the industrial size. The main focus is the Russian defense sector. The information is classified, but this system is what Russia would use to jam other country’s signals. Due to its size, it can be easily transported by Russian defense.
This is the only information that wasn’t scrubbed by Russia, pertaining to this device. Nika is capable of creating a jamming signal and the power of it can destroy a jet such as a F-35. The western defense world should look closely at Nika, since from a physics prospective, this device is a perfect platform for generating an electromagnetic weapon.