Skip to main content
- The men’s and women’s college basketball seasons come to their exciting conclusions this weekend. The Women’s Final Four takes place Friday in Tampa Bay, with the championship game Sunday night. The men meet in Minneapolis Saturday, with the final on Monday.
- Neither the Virginia Cavaliers nor the Auburn Tigers have won a Final Four game before, and the Tigers are making their first appearance in school history. The task of stopping the Cavaliers may fall to Auburn’s Bryce Brown. Virginia is 10-0 when Kyle Guy hits five 3-pointers or more.
- The lone blue blood in Minneapolis wears the green and white of Michigan State. The Spartans are making their eighth trip to the Final Four under coach Tom Izzo. Their foes Saturday night will be another debutante, the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Where Auburn and Virginia are likely to let ‘er rip, the name of this game will be defense.
- The Baylor Lady Bears cruised through the women’s tournament as the #1 overall seed, easily reaching their fourth Final Four under coach Kim Mulkey. The Oregon Ducks, are making their first appearance, led by the nation’s best point guard, Sabrina Ionescu. The Ducks will face a tall order Friday, against 6’4″ Lauren Cox and 6’7″ Kalani Brown.
- It’s hard to imagine an 11-time national champion, making their 12th consecutive Final Four, as an underdog. Yet, the Connecticut Huskies find themselves in just such a role against the team that knocked them out last year, defending champion Notre Dame. Seeing Arike Ogunbowale’s shot on repeat all year, combined with Napheesa Collier’s Naismith Award snub, should give the #2-seed Huskies plenty of motivation in this classic rematch.