- Martin Griffiths said that he is seeking to hold a round of unconditional peace consultations between the legitimate government and the Houthis.
- The government accused the UN envoy of trying to cover up his failure to compel the Houthi militias to implement the Stockholm Agreement.
- Major General Sagheer bin Aziz called on the national army to advance towards the capital, Sana'a, to recover it from the grip of the Houthi militia.
Martin Griffiths, the UN Special Envoy to Yemen, arrived today in Sana’a to discuss halting the military escalation and ways to hold a round of Yemeni political consultations. A news source at Sanaa International Airport said that Griffiths arrived with his assistant, Muin Shreim. Political sources confirmed that Griffiths will meet with the leaders of the Houthi militia to discuss reducing the military escalation, as part of his attempts to persuade the parties to the conflict to move towards a new round of consultations, without conditions to discuss arrangements for a political solution to the crisis in Yemen.
The UN envoy made press statements Wednesday, in which he said that he is seeking to hold a round of unconditional peace consultations between the legitimate government and the Houthis to end the conflict in Yemen, and discuss the issues of legality, governance, and the transitional phase. In its response to these statements, the government, through Yemeni Local Administration Minister Abdel Raquib Fateh, accused the UN envoy of trying to cover up his failure to compel the Houthi militias to implement the Stockholm Agreement.
Fateh stated on Twitter that Griffiths’ recent statements violated his decision, as he goes out of his statements for the solution in Yemen. He pointed out that the references were agreed upon locally and internationally. Fateh said that Griffiths was trying to mislead by providing a new interpretation of the agreement, stressing that the government supports solutions that end the war and do not establish a future war.
The UN Special Envoy to Yemen had expressed his concern over the recent escalation in Yemen, which resulted in the death of many civilians. Griffiths called on the parties concerned to reduce the escalation and take the necessary measures to calm all military activities. He additionally called for a commitment to implement the initiatives taken previously, to calm and strengthen them.
According to the official website of his office, the UN envoy said that Yemen has suffered a lot, and added that everyone should work to push the peace process forward, not to take it back.
Yemeni Army Commander Calls for Advance
The commander of joint operations at the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, Major General Sagheer bin Aziz, called on the national army to advance towards the capital, Sana’a, to recover it from the grip of the Houthi militia. This came during his briefing on the theater of combat operations on the front lines of the fighting front, east of Sana’a, according to a statement released by the media center of the Yemeni Armed Forces, at dawn on Wednesday.
The call from the commander of joint operations comes at a time when the Yemeni army, with the support of the Legitimacy Support Alliance, is fighting battles against the militias and achieving major victories along the Naham front, amid major Houthi losses.
Meanwhile, the Nahham Front witnessed, for the fifth consecutive day, clashes that were described as violent between the Yemeni armed forces, supported by the alliance, and the Houthi militias. The scenes were characterized by the army’s progress, and major breakdowns among revolutionaries, including the death and wounding of a number of their elements, and prominent leaders being taken prisoner.