- “We are going to protest this electoral hold-up in the street,” said Diallo. “But we are still going to refer the matter to the constitutional court. .
- During a highly contested referendum in March , the country passed a new constitution and the veteran leader considered that the new text allowed him to run for a third term.
- Supporters of Condé maintain that the electoral process was carried out safely and blamed Diallo for the social instability in Guinea- Conakry.
The runners up candidate in the Guinea-Conakry presidential elections Cellou Dalein Diallo announced today that he will legally contest President Alpha Condé’s victory in last Sunday’s elections alleging massive vote-rigging and large scale electoral malpractices.
Diallo, the country’s opposition chief whom police are currently blockading inside his Conakry home, vowed to mount a legal challenge to the announced election results in an interview with the AFP.
“We are going to protest this electoral hold-up in the street,” he said. “But we are still going to refer the matter to the constitutional court, without having too many expectations”. He declared.
As per the Guinea- Conakry’s electoral commission’s announcement today, outgoing President Alpha Condé won the country’s October 18th presidential elections with 59.4% of the vote, thus earning himself a controversial third term in office.
As per the announced results, the electoral commission gave the opposition chief Cellou Dalein Diallo 33.5% of the votes. Notably, the opposition chief had earlier on declared himself the winner of the presidential elections before the official results were released.
As soon as the results were announced, clashes broke out between the police and protesters with gunfire being heard in various parts of the capital cornakry.
“We’re on the street until Cellou Dalein asks us to come home,” one of the protesters, Souleymane Cisse , a driver , told AFP .
Post-election violence has already claimed at least a dozen lives, after months of mobilization against the possibility of a harshly repressed Condé third term resulting in dozens of civilian deaths.
Condé , 82, was the country’s first democratically elected head of state in 2010, after decades of authoritarian regimes in Guinea- Conakry , a country neighboring Guinea-Bissau.
During a highly contested referendum in March , the country passed a new constitution and the veteran leader considered that the new text allowed him to run for a third term again in a move that Opponents denounced terming it a “constitutional coup”.
The opposition accuses the Government of being involved in fraud, while the executive and supporters of Condé maintain that the electoral process was carried out safely and blamed Diallo for the social instability in Guinea- Conakry for self – proclaiming himself on Monday as the winner of the elections.
Diallo , 68, was defeated by Condé in the 2010 and 2015 presidential elections, having proclaimed his victory on Monday based on data collected by his supporters at polling stations, claiming not to trust the independence of the electoral commission and the Constitutional court. He indicated that he obtained 53% of the votes.
“Despite the serious anomalies that marred the smooth running of the … election and in view of the results that came out of the ballot boxes, I am victorious in this election in the first round,” Diallo told journalists and cheering supporters on Monday, merely a day after the vote was held.