- Many community school administrations also provide laptops to their students to facilitate their studies.
- All a hacker needs is an entry point into a system to have control over the victim’s webcam and use it as a spying machine instead.
- Disable your laptop’s webcam if it is not under usage.
Privacy and online security are one of the biggest concerns of this era. If you believe that peeping into someone’s laptop webcam and spying on their daily life and activities is difficult, then you are mistaken.
Laptop webcams these days have become a crucial tool and perfect fodder for hackers and their malicious activities and hacking these webcams remotely is actually a piece-of-cake for them.
There are some ways through which hackers can learn how to hack laptop camera remotely:
Taking advantage of RATs
Many companies and organizations give laptops to their employees. Many community school administrations also provide laptops to their students to facilitate their studies. These laptops have Remote Administration Tools (RATs) installed in them that can basically help the admins to configure, upgrade, and track down their laptops in cases of crime, theft, etc. through installed security software like Theft Track and also allows them to look into the laptop webcams remotely.
Now, creepy as it may sound, but hackers or even someone from the admin of a company can gain access through various security software installed along with RATs to hack a laptop camera remotely. All a hacker needs is an entry point into a system to have control over the victim’s webcam and use it as a spying machine instead.
Misusing the webcam’s connectivity feature
Many companies sell webcams separately claiming that they can connect to various devices over the internet. Not only this, but people install third-party software to allow their laptop webcams to turn into a security surveillance device to keep their homes and property protected while they are away and can monitor the situation through the laptop webcam’s flexible connectivity.
Now, this may be considered a wonderful way to keep an eye on your property remotely through the surveillance that your laptop webcam or an individual webcam provides. However, in reality, it is like a double-edged sword. With many of its benefits, some disadvantages come too. One such major disadvantage of enabling this feature and making use of your internet-connected devices is that it can be exploited by hackers lurking for just a single vulnerability to jump onto a victim.
Third party softwares
Hackers can easily gain access through the third-party software that many people install in their laptops to enable their laptop webcams to work like surveillance devices too. So, it is better if no such software is installed as it may help the hackers find out how to hack a laptop camera!
Hackers can gain access through Trojans too
If a victim’s webcam does not provide the hackers easy access into their systems, then they use other methods to gain entry. These methods involve malicious links or emails prompting the victim to download. These links or emails/documents etc. may contain some malware or a Trojan which can then install into the victim’s system. From there on, the hacker can get into the system and do whatever they want! And this involves them getting the liberty to hamper with the users’ webcam settings, resulting in them finding out ways to hack a laptop camera remotely.
Methods to avoid webcam hacking
You can protect your privacy with the below mentioned guidelines to avoid webcam hacking:
- Disable your laptop’s webcam if it is not under usage. If you are using a separate webcam, remember to unplug it after usage. However, in laptop webcams, there is a problem that even if the user has disabled them, the hackers who can get access to their system can change the settings and enable the webcams without the users’ knowledge.
- Avoid getting webcams that can be logged on from anywhere as their internet connectivity smart features may become a backdoor for the hackers to gain entry.
- Install efficient and protective anti-virus software in your laptops/PCs to avoid getting targeted by Trojans, etc. Also, allow regular security checks for your systems.
- You can cover your webcam with tape or anything else that can only be taken off physically. No matter how amazing a hacker is and how inventive they are with gaining access to your system, they can still not peep into your life through the tape on your laptop webcam.