Indian Security Forces Use Pellet Guns, Tear Gas, Against Protesters in Kashmir

  • At least 150 people were injured in the clashes between police and protesters.
  • The call to the demonstration was made with the help of unconfirmed posters attributed to separatists affixed to certain areas.
  • New Delhi has imposed restrictions on the Indian-administered region for the last three weeks.

Protesters and security forces have clashed in the aftermath of Friday prayers in ​​Srinagar, in the Indian-administered state of Kashmir. According to news sources, Indian security forces were seen using pellet guns and tear gas shells to disperse protesters, while demonstrators were using stones against security forces.

At least 150 people were injured in the clashes. No collision reports were received from any other area of ​​Srinagar.

Normal life has been suspended for the last three weeks due to restrictions. Sanctions had been eased over the past few days, but the restrictions were tightened by authorities again on Friday.

The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019 is an act of the Parliament of India. It contains provisions to reconstitute the state of Jammu and Kashmir into two union territories, one to be eponymously called Jammu and Kashmir, and the other Ladakh. The act will come into effect on 31 October 2019.

For the third consecutive week, Friday prayers were not allowed in the main mosques and monasteries in the Kashmir Valley.

According to information received by the media, Friday prayers were allowed in central mosques in Kupwara, including Pulwama, Anantnag, Shopian, Bara Mulla, Kulgam and other areas around Kashmir,

Because of the tightening of the sanctions, the government has been reporting that some rumors have been circulating in the valley for the past two days, and there have been posters in which the separatist leadership has called for a protest march. The government says the sanctions will be eased again by Saturday.

The call to the demonstration was made with the help of unconfirmed posters attributed to separatists affixed to certain areas, including Sora, in which Kashmiris were asked to join the UN observer mission in Srinagar after Friday prayers against the government’s decision.

It is to be noted that after the start of the lockdown in the city, many people were injured in police shelling and pelting by protesters at the anti-India protests at Sora town. This is the first time the news has come to light since the end of the special constitutional status of Kashmir and the security lockdown in the Valley.

According to the reports, special security arrangements have been made in the Valley on Friday for fear of protests, and personnel have been evacuated from areas where there are no reports of protests.

The landline service was restored in the valley four to five days ago, but today, due to concerns, the landline has been cut off once again in sensitive areas.

The Indian-administered region of Kashmir has been under an unprecedented media blackout for the past three weeks. The BBC World Service announced last week it would increase shortwave radio broadcasts to the region.

Meanwhile, UN human rights experts have called on India to end media communications restrictions in Kashmir. According to a written statement issued by the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, experts associated with the organization have expressed concern over the region’s implementation of sanctions after the elimination of special constitutional status of Jammu and Kashmir.

The statement says that according to reports from Kashmir, the communication system in Jammu and Kashmir has been completely shut down. The internet, mobile, landline and cable network services have also been disconnected.

The government’s shutdown of the Internet and communications systems for no reason is contrary to the basic principles of necessity and proportionality,” experts say.

“This closure is equivalent to collective punishment of the people of Jammu and Kashmir without any crime.”

Only $1/click

Submit Your Ad Here

Joyce Davis

My history goes back to 2002 and I  worked as a reporter, interviewer, news editor, copy editor, managing editor, newsletter founder, almanac profiler, and news radio broadcaster.

Leave a Reply