- Iran has refused to negotiate with US officials.
- The nation wants sanctions lifted first.
- Iran estimates that damage caused by Trump sanctions adds up to about $1 trillion.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Javad Zarif has said that any Iranian deal negotiations have to include reparations for damages caused by US sanctions imposed by the Trump administration. This is while speaking at the UN Conference on Disarmament on Wednesday.
According to a previous statement issued by the official, over 800 prohibitions were imposed on Iran during Trump’s tenure. He argued that compensation would help prevent a recurrence if the 4-year situation. He estimated that the damage caused by US sanctions was at approximately $1 trillion.
Europe Can’t Protect Iran from the Sanctions
In the recent past, Zarif, has lamented the impotence of EU nations in the JPOA agreement.
On Monday, he pointed out that the bloc was heavily dependent on decisions made by the US and had no way of preventing sanctions.
“The situation Europe has created for itself is that it has to wait for the US to make a decision. It lives at the behest and mercy of the US. Now, they should convince the US to come back [to the nuclear deal] at least to allow them … to maintain their dignity and allow them to fulfill their obligations. That’s not a tall order,” he said.
His statement came after Iran temporarily scrapped plans to discontinue International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspections by enacting a 3 month extension.
The move caused some resistance among Iranian lawmakers.
In the 2015 pact, Iran consented to the IAEA’s Additional Protocol. The rule allows for short-notice inspections even in locations not formally declared to the organization. The law’s main objective is to ensure that nuclear programs are not being undertaken covertly for military purposes. The sanctions imposed on Iran by the US, however, discourage it from abiding by this rule.
The three-month extension was secured by Rafael Mariano Grossi the IAEA’s Director General. It raised hopes of a nuclear deal between the US Iran and Iran.
Iran Declines Direct Talks with US Officials
Despite the continued progress, Iran has rejected any direct talks with US officials. In light of this, European officials have cautioned against undermining current reconciliation efforts being made by the US.
So far, the Joe Biden administration has extended an olive branch by cancelling travel bans imposed on top Iranian diplomats by the Trump administration. It has also called-off planned snapback sanctions on Iran.
This has led to some criticism from a group of US politicians. Among the appeasement policy’s biggest critics is Former US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Speaking to Fox News earlier this week, he dismissed the strategy as ineffectual.
The following is an excerpt from his statement.
“The truth is, and what we could demonstrate clearly during the term for administration, is what they understood was power, they understood deterrence.
They tried this before, ‘If we just give the Iranians enough money, enough policy cash and get this right and bribe them, they will be peaceful.’
We saw that did not happen and we saw the attacks and the terror that continued.”