Iraq: Two US, One British Soldier Killed in Rocket Attack on Military Base

  • The Iraqi president has condemned the attack on a military base and said that the attack would be investigated.
  • Authorities say it is premature to blame anyone for the attack.
  • Tensions remain high between the U.S. and Iran.

Three people were killed and 12 others were injured in an attack on an Iraqi base. According to a statement, five fire service personnel were among the most severely injured, and concerns are being raised about the casualties. The statement added, “allied forces and Iraqi security forces are investigating the attack.” The attack happened around 7:30 PM local time on Wednesday.

Camp Taji is a military installation, also known as Camp Cooke used by coalition forces near Taji or Al Taji, Iraq. The camp is located in a rural region approximately 27 km (17 mi) north of the city of Baghdad in the Baghdad Governorate.

The Iraqi president has condemned the attack on a military base and said that the attack would be investigated. A statement from the Iraqi Presidential Palace described the attack as an offensive against Iraqi security. “We are closely following the situation at Camp Taji,” the official said on Wednesday. “We are not going to get ahead of the assessment and investigation, which are ongoing.”

In a statement, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has condemned the attack, and said the UK will continue to connect with international partners to fully understand the details of that vicious attack. A statement from the British Defense Ministry confirmed the attack on the Iraqi military base, but no comment has been made on the incident. Authorities say it is premature to blame anyone for the attack, and if Iranian-backed militias are blamed for the attack, it could increase tensions between the United States and Iran.

A US drone strike earlier this year killed senior Iranian commander General Qasim Sulaimani and Abu Mahdi al-Mahindas, the commander of a pro-Shia militia group in Iraq. The Iranian government responded to the killing of Major General Sulaimani and fired missiles at two military bases in Iraq on which US troops were deployed. One of these military bases is close to Ain-Assad Airbase in western Iraq and the other in northern Iraq, near Arbil.

Qasem Soleimani was an Iranian Major General in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and since 1998 commander of its Quds Force—a division primarily responsible for extraterritorial military and clandestine operations. Soleimani was killed in a targeted U.S. airstrike on 3 January 2020 in Baghdad, Iraq.

Of at least 34 US troops who were in critical condition, eight were transferred from Iraq to Germany for hospitalization. The explosions are thought to be more disturbing. It is also reported that half of the 34 wounded soldiers have assumed their military responsibilities. According to a statement released by the US Department of Defense Pentagon, the soldiers suffered severe brain injuries. To date, US officials have not yet made the final details of the casualties or missiles from the missile attacks.

It is important that most of the US troops were based in underground safe bunkers at the time of the Iranian missile attacks. Missiles were fired at the upper ground of the military bases. The situation in the US and Iran has been strained since the death of Qasem Solaimani at the airport in the Iraqi capital Baghdad and then the Iranian missile attacks.

International journalists, political and diplomatic circles are still not convinced of the casualties caused by the Iranian missiles as a result of Iranian missile strikes. They want to know the truth. It is also an issue of how the US military headquarters have been thinking or dealing with closed rooms after Iranian missile strikes.

Meanwhile, the US Congress approved a resolution Wednesday to prevent further escalation of tensions between the United States and Iran. Under which President Donald Trump will not take any military action against Iran without Congress permission. President Trump, however, can veto the resolution.

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=4]

Benedict Kasigara

I have been working as a freelance editor/writer since 2006. My specialist subject is film and television having worked for over 10 years from 2005 during which time I was the editor of the BFI Film and Television.

Leave a Reply