- The news of the airstrike was reported by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights in London.
- Israel has carried out hundreds of attacks on Syria since the start of the Syrian civil war in 2011.
- Israel has repeatedly stated that they see Iran's military presence in Syria as a threat to their security.
Eastern Syria has once again witnessed an airstrike. AFP reported on Saturday that Lebanon had reported an airstrike on one of the positions of forces affiliated with Bashar al-Assad’s government in eastern Syria. The attack is said to have killed six members of the Syrian army and forces backed by the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Meanwhile, Ismail Qaani, commander of the Quds Force, has traveled to Syria. The bomber struck shortly afternoon in front of a mosque in the village of Abbas, near the Syrian-Iraqi border. The news of the airstrike was reported by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights in London.
Four of those killed in the airstrike were Syrian nationals. The nationality of the other two is unknown. The other two are expected to be affiliated with Lebanon’s Hezbollah.
Responsibility for Airstrikes
A report released by the SOHR did not say which country was responsible for the airstrike. However, the report said the airstrike was “likely” carried out by the Israeli army. Israel has carried out hundreds of attacks on Syria since the start of the Syrian civil war in 2011.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) said in a statement that the airstrikes targeted Syrian government forces and militants backed by Iran. Israel rarely officially takes responsibility for airstrikes on Syria.
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as well as former Israeli Defense Minister Naftali Bennett, have repeatedly stated that they see Iran’s military presence in Syria as a threat to their security, and that all Iranian-affiliated forces will withdraw from Syria. They continue their attacks.
This is the third time this week that areas in eastern and southern Syria have been targeted by airstrikes. At least seven Iranian-backed troops have been killed in an Israeli airstrike on Deir ez-Zor and the southern province of Suwayda.
The airstrikes in eastern Syria come as Ismail Qaani, commander of the Quds Force and successor to Qasem Soleimani, travels to Syria. Reuters reported on Saturday that Qaani had arrived in the town of Abu Kamal, in the eastern province of Deir ez-Zor. The news of Ismail Qaani’s presence in Syria was reported by the Tasnim news agency.
Other Israeli Airstrikes Against Iran in Syria
Official Syrian news sources report several rocket attacks on various Syrian military bases. One of the attacks took place near Deir ez-Zor in eastern Syria, AFP reported on Wednesday.
At the same time, a military base near the southwestern Syrian city of Suwayda was targeted by a missile, according to the report. The official Syrian news agency (SANA) quoted military sources as saying that the attacks took place on Tuesday evening, during which two army soldiers were killed and four others were wounded.
Rami Abdul Rahman, director of the London-based SOHR, told reporters that the attacks were carried out by the Israeli army, and that their target was one of the centers used by militias backed by Iran. AFP quoted Syrian activists as saying that two Syrian army soldiers had been killed in a rocket attack on a base on the outskirts of Tel al-Sahn in Suwayda province.