- The Trump administration is quietly putting in place many laws and rules that negatively impact the poor and middle class in our country.
- These are a few of the laws and rules they are passing that that will soon diminish our health and safety.
- What options do we still have to protect ourselves and our democracy from this quiet assault on our future well-being.
We live in a time of turmoil and confusion. Our newspapers, internet, TV present us with many opposing opinions. There is also information that is untruthful or purposely intended to foster discord and distrust. How can we protect our thinking and try to understand what is really happening in our country and the world?
One way is to realize that opinion is just opinion not truth and that we must only trust proven facts. While there is much information available about the controversial nature about what is happening in this administration there are many laws and rules that are being passed by the Republicans and our president quietly and without a lot of public awareness. Most of these impact the poor and the middle class.
The following are some of the laws that have been passed in the last 3 years under this president and which will impact you and your family negatively for a long time. These are just a few of what President Trump and this administration are passing every day to diminish your quality of life and which will ultimately put you and the lives of your children at risk and make all of our lives more difficult in the coming years and as long as this administration is in office they will continue to pass many more harmful laws.
This administration and this president are:
- Changing previous protections and allowing our water and air to become more polluted which means more sickness and death for us and our families.
- Undermining women’s health care– ending health subsidies and attacking pre-existing conditions and protections.
- Weakening rules that protect senior citizens from abuse.
- Making guns available to the mentally ill
- Raising taxes for 86 million middle-class families by 2027. 83% of the tax cuts went to the top 1% of Americans The law also added $1.9 trillion to the deficit.
- Encouraging voter suppression
- Pushing back Title IX rules which protect against sexual violence and which also protects educational opportunity.
- Cutting 3.1 million people from food stamp programs and curtailing school lunches for ½ million children. This affects our poorest and most vulnerable people.
- Allowing the department of Health and Human services to discriminate against patients.
- Taking away protections for workers to protect their tips from being confiscated by their employer.
Allowing workers to be exposed to cancer causing agents and cutting rules that make manual labor safer.
- Cutting consumer protections.. This makes it harder for all of us to trust the safety of the products that we buy.
- Making it easier to pay women and minorities less by cutting overtime pay.
- Gutting protections for our public lands by opening up public parks and lands for commercial use.
This is the direction that this administration is taking our country that is impacting your families whether you are Democrats or Republicans. They are making laws and rules that ultimately hurt the poor and the middle class for the benefit of the richest among us. They are eliminating the laws and rules that have protected us and made all of our lives healthier and safer.
How can we stop them from victimizing the majority of citizens in this country. We must watch this administration and our president more carefully so we can be aware of what they are actually doing to harm us. We must ignore the divisive rhetoric that we hear everyday that is designed to divide us and shift our attention away from what is really happening in our country. The last and most important thing that we all MUST do is VOTE for someone who cares about the majority of the people in our country and their well-being and who will make laws and rules that will benefit us all and ultimately protect and strengthen our democracy.
Leadership conference on civil and human rights.
President Trump: failing the middle class