- The action was taken after the two sides failed to agree on the issues that raised the dispute between them.
- To date, the group has met three times in the Attorney General's office.
- Fear has spread in the Dundori area, Nakuru following an increase in cases where widows are attacked and raped at night by unknown men.
A group to resolve a dispute between Governor Mike Sonko and the Nairobi City Service Department (NMS), has called for an extension of 30 days to address issues that have sparked tensions between the two sides. Now the Attorney General will be required to intervene.
It is clear that the action was taken after the two sides failed to agree on the issues that raised the dispute between them. The group, led by Attorney General Ken Ogeto, has been meeting since mid-August to find a solution.
The talks stemmed from a court order giving the parties 90 days to legalize the transfer agreement with national government’s Governor Sonko when he complained about the implementation of the agreement.
To date, the group has met three times in the Attorney General’s office. The court had given the parties until September 18, 2020. Both sides could not agree on the controversial issues and Mr. Ogeto asked the county government to give his side 30 more days to negotiate.
“We held the third meeting on Thursday last week and the Attorney General requested 30 days to resolve the dispute, which was approved by the county government,” said one of the parties to the talks.
The NMS and the Sonko government have not agreed on the NMS funding system, the issue of the governor’s house, the relocation of county government employees to the NMS, and the repayment of debts and contracts.
Mr. Sonko’s spokesman Ben Mulwa insisted that financial matters had not been transferred and blamed the NMS for taking on certain responsibilities contrary to the agreement.
Older Widows Cried At Night With Young Men
Fear has spread in the Dundori area, Nakuru following an increase in cases where widows are attacked and raped at night by unknown men. News sources counted 16 women who said they were raped in the past three months, most of them over the age of 60. Among them is a 90-year-old grandmother who was reportedly raped five times, each time it was raining.
Local officials and local residents pointed the finger of blame at local youths who use drugs and alcohol indiscriminately.
“We do not have police officers in the area who patrol, especially at night when they are needed. Criminals get enough time to attack residents,” said one local elder.
On July 5, at around 3 pm, a 60-year-old widow was raped by a man who assaulted her at her home. According to the victim, she did not recognize the man as he held her tightly in the dark. “It was so dark and the act was carried out quickly. I did not know the man but according to the way he held me and laid me on the floor, he was tall,” she said.
The mother-of-five said that since then she has lived in fear of being raped again. In a nearby village, a 62-year-old widow also said she was living in fear after being brutally treated.
“I was attacked in my home by three men who raped me in front of my grandchildren. At around 2 pm, the men grabbed me and tied me with ropes before raping me one after another, ”she said. She said he reported the incident to the local police station but was not helped.
The Assistant County Commissioner in charge of Dundori, Mr. Henry Kirwa, said he was aware that the cases were widespread, but said many victims did not report to the police.