- Less than a year before the heinous crime, the Saudi Crown Prince himself ordered the confiscation of a company that had these aircraft among its assets.
- The data of the connection of the Gulfstream Aircrafts used by the hitmen had already been advanced by the Wall Street Journal in 2018.
- The White House has said that President Joe Biden will speak to King Salman— and not his son— when he makes his first phone call to Saudi leaders.
The Saudi assassination squad that traveled to Istanbul and killed and dismembered journalist Jamal Khashoggi arrived in Turkey using two private planes that belong to the Saudi monarchy. The information is courtesy of top secret documents obtained by CNN, as part of a Canadian civil lawsuit.
As per the leaked secret information, less than a year before the heinous crime, the Saudi Crown Prince himself, Mohammed bin Salman, ordered the confiscation of a company that had these aircraft among its assets.
The leaked files, classified as “top secret,” and bearing the signature of a Saudi minister, indicate that the expropriation was instructed by the de facto leader of the Kingdom.
CNN reported that the text was presented in a Canadian civil lawsuit earlier this year and details the transfer of Sky Prime Aviation, which passed into the hands of the $400 billion sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia at the end of 2017.
The documents, which are another link between the murder and the monarchy, were presented by a group of companies owned by the Saudi state, in a case against a former senior intelligence official, Saad Aljabri.
Aljabri accused the Crown Prince of trying to kill him in Canada using another squad of thugs a few days after the murder of Khashoggi, a former Washington Post columnist.
The data of the connection of the Gulfstream Aircrafts used by the hitmen had already been advanced by the Wall Street Journal in 2018, based on unidentified sources. Now, the evidence comes at a time when Saudi Arabia is back in the spotlight after the United States announced the next release of a previously classified file on MBS’ alleged link to the murder of the Saudi dissident.
The CIA has directly linked the Crown Prince to the assassination of the popular journalist. The Crown Prince already announced his total acceptance of overall responsibility, as the leader of his country, but denies any personal link to the popular journalist’s murder.
“This was a heinous crime,” Prince Mohammed, 34, told the US TV show 60 Minutes in an interview broadcast in 2019. “But I take full responsibility as a leader in Saudi Arabia, especially since it was committed by individuals working for the Saudi government.”
Questioned on whether he ordered the murder of Khashoggi, who had criticized him on several occasions in columns for The Washington Post, MBS, replied, “absolutely not.” The slaying was “a mistake,” he added.
Either way, following the journalist’s murder, the Crown Prince’s image, as well as that of Saudi Arabia in general, fell sharply internationally. The White House has said that President Joe Biden will speak to King Salman— and not his son— when he makes his first phone call to Saudi leaders.
Khashoggi was brutally murdered after he entered the Saudi consulate in Turkey on October 2, 2018, to collect a document that he needed in order to marry his Turkish fiancée. Agents of the Saudi government killed Khashoggi inside the consulate and apparently dismembered his body, which has never been found to date.