- "I have full confidence in the kingdom's judicial system and in its ability to serve justice to those behind this heinous crime," said Salah.
- The Washington Post reported a financial settlement between the Kingdom and the Khashoggi family, which Salah denied.
- The Saudi Prosecutor's Office admitted that Khashoggi's murder was pre-planned but denied any link between the royal family and the plan to end his life.
Salah Khashoggi, son of the murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, has come out in defense of Saudi authorities, accusing “enemies of the motherland” of “exploiting” the case ahead of the first anniversary of his father’s killing. “A year has gone by since the passing of my beloved father. During this time, opponents and enemies in the East and West sought to exploit his case . . . to undermine my country and leadership,” he said in a tweet.
“I will not accept that his memory and case be taken advantage of to achieve that after his passing,” said Salah, who resides in the kingdom. “I have full confidence in the kingdom’s judicial system and in its ability to serve justice to those behind this heinous crime,” said the son, a resident of Saudi Arabia who also possesses US citizenship, a country where his dad, the critical journalist had been exiled.
“I will be as Jamal Khashoggi was, loyal to God, then to my country and its leadership,” he concluded in his tweet. On October 23, after Riyadh admitted the death of the journalist, the King of Saudi Arabia, Salman bin Abdulaziz, and the Crown Prince, Mohammad bin Salman, received Salah and another relative of the dissident to convey their condolences.
The image of Salah’s serious face when shaking Bin Salman’s hand generated controversy on social networks, unleashing all kinds of comments, amid the voices that pointed out that the prince was the one who ordered the murder. On April 1, the Washington Post reported that Salah, as well as the rest of Khashoggi’s children, had been compromised by multimillion-dollar homes and had been put on monthly payments amounting to thousands of dollars by the Saudi authorities, although Salah himself said on the 10th of that very month through Twitter that such information was “immoral” and that no such arrangements had taken place.
On October 2, 2018, Khashoggi’s trail was lost when he entered his country’s consulate in Istanbul to request a marriage certificate to marry his Turkish fiancee, who was waiting for him on the street. In the days after his disappearance, Riyadh denied any involvement, although three weeks later the authorities admitted that Khashoggi had died from an accidental fight inside the Saudi embassy in Turkey.
The Saudi Prosecutor’s Office admitted that Khashoggi’s murder was pre-planned but denied any link between the royal family and the plan to end his life. The United Nations rapporteur for extrajudicial executions, Agnes Callamard, said in a report last June that the Saudi state “must be held “responsible” for the murder and pointed to “credible evidence” linking Bin Salman with the death of the prominent journalist.