- We're ignoring the social development that makes people what to kill others!
- It appears our values of working together for common ground no longer exist.
- If we as adults don’t stop looking for reasons to disagree rather than for reasons to agree, this will never stop.
What has happen to America?!? It’s been 2 years since the Las Vegas shootings where 59 people loss their lives and in the past year the number of mass shootings has reached 26. As usual our focus has moved to other issues so the number of new laws restricting the purchase of high power weapons has been minimum.
We can all agree that the access to guns is an obvious problem; however, it isn’t the only contributing factor. We continue to ignore the other possible factors in the discussion about solutions such as the values we have been promoting the past 40 years. There was a time in our country that public lawmakers could put petty arguments to the side and focus on the large issue to protect those that were vulnerable, especially at our schools, churches, retail outlets, synagogues and outdoor events. However it appears our values of working together for common ground no longer exist.
It doesn’t matter whether the location is the inner city, the suburbs or rural America, there has been a societal shift so dramatic that we’re witnessing these mass killings continue to occur. Whenever the adults around these killers are asked if they knew this was developing, the answer is always the same, “We had no idea,” or “We never saw any signs of trouble.” Maybe we need to start asking ourselves as adults what we’re doing to create the mindset to believe that violence is the only option!
So I’m wondering the following:
- Could these problems stem from the adults that own the record labels and radio stations that produce and play music that promotes sex, violence and drug use as normal behavior?
- Could it be the adults that use loopholes in laws to target our citizens with addictive medications, thereby creating a new generation of drug addicts? Could it be the adults who have passed laws that encourage the use of marijuana with new delivery systems as a new way to profit as well as promoting the message that medication is the solution to every emotional issue?
- Could it be the adults that created the internet and various web sites that teach how to plan, prepare, and execute mass violent attacks?
- Could it be the adults that own TV, movie, and video businesses that encourage senseless violence, deviant behavior and misleading information that leads to confusion and self-destruction?
If we as adults don’t stop looking for reasons to disagree rather than for reasons to agree, this will never stop. If we as adults don’t stop letting industry influences stop us from coming together for the safety of our citizens, this will never stop. If we don’t stop making laws that protect violent behavior as free speech or expression, this will not stop! If the past three presidents and Congress failed, does this mean our problem is too big to solve? I wonder!