- There are four major categories of decision making.
- Only God can gives life to your dead spirit.
- Scripture proving that God, not man, is in control of everything.
- God made salvation decisions before the creation of the world.
- Salvation is 100% God and 0% man!
Two of the most unbiblical quotes you frequently here both form the pulpit and among many Christians today: “God loves everyone unconditionally.” And “God Gave man freewill because He didn’t want us to be robots.”
Last week’s article covered unconditional love, clearly proving that faith, belief, repentance, obedience and loving your neighbor were just some of the conditions for God’s love/salvation. John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Note “Believing” in Jesus makes this statement conditional. John 3:18 “Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.” Believing in Jesus makes the statement conditional on God’s love for the whole world. John 3:18 goes even further, stating: that if you don’t believe in Jesus, you are condemned to already!
You can find the complete article here.
Throughout creation, God selected, chose, elected, appointed, called, redeemed or predestined some people to live with Him eternally in Heaven. God is “Holy” which means “separate”. He also makes “Holy” or separates His children; His gift of salvation is by grace through faith.
Many Christians have been led to believe that God gave man “freewill” in order that they may, on their own, choose Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Many Christians today believe that God certainly did not create mankind to be robots. The second most unbiblical quote you frequently here: “God Gave man freewill because He didn’t create us to be robots.”
I believe there are four major categories of decision making man makes on a daily basis.
- Physical– Decisions relating to their health i.e. diet; exercise, whether or not to consume alcohol/tobacco and even the amount of sleep one gets. These decisions affect the health of an individual but also require a sacrifice if one is to live a healthy life.
- Financial– Decisions affecting ones long term life style also requires sacrifice by putting off short term gratification for long term gain i.e. higher education, being willing to move in order to gain a higher/better paying job and even the size of your family.
- Social– Decisions relating to the people you interact and socialize with, i.e. business associates, friends, family and those you choose not to interact with.
- Spiritual – Decisions relating to morality, adherence to “Gods Law”, and belief in God/Jesus, the creator and sustainer of the universe.
There is no question that man has freewill on all decisions relating to their physical health, financial decisions and social interactions. However, decisions relating to man’s spirituality are totally in God’s hands. The main question shouldn’t be, weather man has the ability to make a decision to believe in God/Jesus, but why God chooses, appoints, calls, elects, or predestines anyone for eternal life in Heaven with Him.
I have struggled with where “freewill” and God’s choosing, appointing, calling, election, or predestination intersects. Man not having freewill to make a decision for God/Christ is counterintuitive. Natural man by nature wants to be in control of everything in his/her life. If man actually had the ability to make a decision to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior that would imply that they were more intelligent than those who rejected God/Christ. Pride is something God will not tolerate:
- Proverbs 16:5: “The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.”
- Proverbs 8:13: “To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.”
- Proverbs 16:18: “Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.” Man believing that he has anything to do with his faith /belief in Jesus is pride.
Martin Luther, the great reformer of the Christian Church, clearly stated that there is no such thing as freewill in regard to your salvation. A quote from Martin Luther’s book: “The Bondage of the Will: “Man is by nature as completely unable to know God as to please God.” Luther goes on to say, “The whole work of man’s salvation, first to last, is God’s and all the glory for it must be God’s also.” Proverbs 14:12: “There is a way that appears to be right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” The man without God’s Spirit will be lost forever by following the world’s seductive pleasures.
Man has freewill to sin which we all do often. Unless God gives life to your dead spirit you will be God’s enemy, as we are all dead to sin from birth:
- John 3:3 “In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.” Rebirth is God opening one’s eyes to understanding His Word through His Holy Spirit.
- John 3:5-6 “Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.” However, in God’s mercy and grace, He chooses to saves some from eternal separation from Him
- Romans 8:9 “And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.” No one without God’s Holy Spirit is a child of God.
- Ephesian 2:1 “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins,” Only God can raise one’s dead spirit. A dead man can’t bring his dead spirit to life!
- 1 Corinthians 1:18 “For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” God’s elect, appointed, chosen, called or predestined are His children and given His gift of His Holy Spirit.
- 1 Corinthians 1:24 “but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” However, you must be called.
- 2 Thessalonians 2:10-12 “and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.” God will send a “powerful delusion” to the wicked that are perishing.
- 2nd Corinthians 5:17-18 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation” If there is no change in one’s life, they have not received the Holy Spirit!
The overwhelming evidence is that without man being drawn or enabled, through God’s Holy Spirit, no one will ever seek God. Without God’s Spirit no one would ever choose God. It is only God‘s children who receive His gift of His Holy Spirit. We all sin and in God’s eyes all sins are equally egregious. God chooses those He imparts faith/belief in Jesus through His Holy Spirit and declares them righteous. Jesus exchanged His righteousness for believer’s sinfulness when He died on the cross.
Satan’s children are unable to understand the Bible because they lack God’s Holy Spirit. They refuse to accept Jesus’ scarifies for the forgiveness of their sins, therefore they must personally pay the price for their sins and endure God’s wrath forever.
Following are Jesus’ words written by men who lived with Jesus. They witnessed His power, His humility, His death and resurrection from the dead. All Apostles were martyred except John because they refused to deny Jesus’ divinity and resurrection from the dead.
- Matthew 22:14: “For many are invited, but few are chosen.” God desires all to come to repentance but He knows of man’s evil heart and that only a few will enter through the narrow gate which leads to eternal life.
- Matthew 15:13: “He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots.” Man is either of God or of Satan and will live eternally in either Heaven or Hell!
- Luke 10:22: “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and no one knows who the Father is except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.” Jesus gives eternal life to whomever He chooses to reveal himself to, not to everyone.
- John 5:21: “For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it” This does not apply to everyone.
- John 6:37: “All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.” Believers are given by God to Jesus and He will never drive them away.
- John 6:44: “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.” John went on to say:
- John 6:65: “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled him.” Without God drawing/enabling you, you don’t stand a chance of believing in Him.
- John 8:47: “He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.” Only God’s Children hear and understand God’s message of salvation.
- John 17:2: “For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.” Salvation was granted to only those given Jesus.
- John 17:9: “I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.” Jesus is only praying for those who God has given Him.
- John 17:24: “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory” God knows His children, those who He gives to Jesus who will spend eternity with them in Heaven. It is God who chooses whom He desires to forgive, His children, and whom He condemns, Satan’s children.
Most of the following verses were written by Paul, who prior to his conversion was persecuting followers of Christ. Jesus met him on the road to Damascus and converted him into the greatest evangelist in the Bible. Paul wrote the majority of books in the New Testament.
Other New Testament verses:
- Romans 1:6: “And you also are among those Gentiles who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.” to Jesus Christ.” If you are not called you do not belong to God.
- Romans 3:11: “there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. If we can’t understand God on our own, God must intervene or the Gospel will be foolishness to everyone.
- Romans 8:14: “ For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.” Without God’s Spirit we are lost and considered anti-Christ or children of Satan.
- Romans 8:28-31: “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified. 31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? God is omniscient and knows the future.
Nothing or no one can thwart God’s will!
- Romans 8:33: “Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.”
- Romans 9:11-13: “Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: God choose Jacob not Esau even though Esau was born first. “not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger” 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.” God does the choosing, not man.
- Romans 11:29: “for God’s gifts and his calls are irrevocable.” God does not make mistakes!
- Romans 9:16: “It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy.” God has mercy only on those He chooses to have mercy!
- Romans 10:20: “I was found by those who did not seek me; I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me.” God’s gift of His Holy Spirit is the gift of rebirth not given to everyone.
- Acts 2:39: “The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” God’s promise was only given to those He chose to call.
- Acts 2:27: “And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.” It was God, not man adding do their numbers daily.
- Acts 13:48: “When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.” Only those who were appointed for salvation believed.
- Acts 26:17-18: “I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.” Only those who were sanctified by faith in Jesus were rescued.
- 1st Corinthians 2:5: “so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.” It is all God.
- 1st Corinthians 3:7: “So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.” Only God has the power to grow one’s faith into salvation. 16. 16. 1st Corinthians 12:11: “All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.” God’s spirit is given just as God determines, not as man desires.
- 1 Corinthians 1:23-24: “but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” It is God’s call as to who understands the necessity of Christ’s crucifixion for the forgiveness of their sins.
- 2 Corinthians 1:21-22: “ Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, 22 set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. It is all God!
- 2 Corinthians 4:3-4: “And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God”. God blinds those He knows are not His children.
- 2 Timothy 2:19: “The Lord knows those who are his,” and, “Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness.” God knows His children s and they must turn away from sin.
- Revelation17:14: “They will wage war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will triumph over them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings—and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers.”
- Revelation 20:15: “If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.” The “book of life” was written before the beginning of time, illustrating that God knew those who were to be saved.
Everything on earth is under God’s control:
- Exodus 4:11: “The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?
- Deuteronomy 32:39: “See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand.” Only the creator has the right t to destroy what He has created.1 Samuel 2:6-7: “The LORD brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up. 7 The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.”
- Job 12:23: “He makes nations great, and destroys them; he enlarges nations, and disperses them.”
- Psalm 96:13: “they will sing before the LORD, for he comes, he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in his truth.”
- Psalm 97:10: “Let those who love the LORD hate evil, for he guards the lives of his faithful ones and delivers them from the hand of the wicked.”
- Psalm 115:3: “Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.”
- Psalm 135:6: “The LORD does whatever pleases him, in the heavens and on the earth, in the seas and all their depths.”
- Proverbs 16:4: “The LORD works out everything for his own ends— even the wicked for a day of disaster.” God will judge the world and separate the righteous from the wicked.
- Proverbs 16:9: “In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.” It’s all God.
- Proverbs 16:33: “The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD.”
- Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails.”
- Proverbs 20:24: “A man’s steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?
- Proverbs 21:1: “The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.”
- Proverbs 22:2: “Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all.”
- Ecclesiastes 7:14 “When times are good, be happy: but when times are bad, consider: God has made the one as well as the other.” It is all God and man has no say in the matter!
- Isaiah 45:7: “I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.”
- Isaiah 46:10: “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times, what is still to come. I say, ‘My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.
- Jeremiah 10:23: “I know, O LORD, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.”
- Jeremiah 18:6: “O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter does?” declares the LORD. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.” disaster comes to a city, has not the LORD caused it?”
- Lamentations 3:38: “Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both calamities and good things come?”
- Daniel 2:21: “He changes times and seasons; he deposes kings and raises up others.”
- Daniel 4:17: “‘The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of people.” Sovereign God is in control of everything.
- Daniel 4:35: “All the peoples of the earth are regarded as nothing. He does as he pleases with the powers of heaven and the peoples of the earth. No one can hold back his hand or say to him: “What have you done?
Throughout the Bible God states that His elect, chosen, called, appointed, redeemed or those He predestined were selected by His divine sovereignty and they were chosen before the world came into existence!
- Psalm 139:16 “Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.”
- Proverbs 8:23 “I was formed long ages ago, at the very beginning, when the world came to be.”
- Psalm 139:4 “Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely Lord”.
- Ephesians 1:4-5 “For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will”
- Matthew 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.”
- 2 Timothy 1:9 This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time”.
- Revelations 17:8 “The inhabitants of the earth whose names have not been written in the book of life from the creation of the world will be astonished when they see the beast, because it once was, now is not, and yet will come.” If your name is not in “The Book of Life” you are not God’s child. Therefore, if God chose us before the creation of the world, how can I make a decision to choose Him? Is man able to thwart God’s will?
God’s Holy Spirit is the means by which God makes Himself known to His chosen people. Only through the miracle of God’s grace and mercy can our dead spirit come to life. An acronym for Grace” is: God’s Riches At Christ’s Expense.
Claiming to know God will not save you for even Satan’s demons know that God exists. James 2:19 “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder” The only way for someone to enter the Kingdom of God is to be born again, born of the Spirit.
Since we all sin and in God’s eyes all sins, white lies and murder, are equally egregious. How can anyone be saved other than through God’s mercy and grace?
- Ecclesiastes 7:20 “There is not a righteous man on earth who does what is right and never sins.”
- Psalm 51:5 “Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.”
- Psalm 58:3 “Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward, spreading lies.
The most important thing a believer should do is to continually seek God by studying His word, and seek His righteousness by keeping His commandments:
- Matthew 6:33 “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” If we truly love God/Jesus we will obey His commandments. However, we all will fall short of God’s desired perfection.
- John 14:15 “If you love me, keep my commands.” Belief/faith is the key to salvation and without the Holy Spirit, the Gospel is foolishness and veiled to those who are perishing.
Since we were all born spiritually dead, it does not matter how much water or fertilizer a dead seed receives, it is only through God’s gift of His Holy Spirit that brings some dead seeds to spiritual life. God’s chosen, called, elect, appointed or predestined are His children and He helps them grow through miraculous spiritual rebirth. “There by the Grace of God go I!”
Salvation = 100% God + 0% man!