North Korea Showcases New SLBM During Military Parade

  • North Korea is developing its nuclear arsenal.
  • In a rare move, he acknowledged the hardships that the country was facing, which included an economy battered by sanctions, and pledged to work towards resolving these issues.
  • Kim Jong-un has vowed to develop his nation’s nuclear capabilities over time regardless of the relationship with US heads of state.  

North Korea has showcased a new submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM). It was on display was during the military parade held this week marking the end of the Workers’ Party congress. KCNA news, the country’s state-run news agency, said the advanced weaponry will help to deter the nation’s adversaries.

During talks, the Trump administration presented a list of stipulations aimed at denuclearizing the hermit state.

“The world’s most powerful weapon, submarine-launch ballistic missiles, entered the square one after another, powerfully demonstrating the might of the revolutionary armed forces,” the news report read.

The parade marked the end of the nation’s eight-day Workers’ Party congress.

The US military has, however, yet to provide an assessment about the capabilities.

Kim Jong-un Reiterates His Commitment to Develop the Nation’s Nuclear Arsenal

North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, was present during the military parade but it’s not clear whether he gave a speech during the event.

He, however, made a commentary about the country’s current state of affairs during last week’s Workers’ Party congress meeting.

In a rare move, he acknowledged the hardships that the country was facing, which included an economy battered by sanctions, and pledged to work towards resolving these issues.

He also underlined the importance of having a strong military and developing a self-reliant economy.

“The surest and fastest way to tackle the current multiple challenges facing us is to make every possible effort to strengthen our own power and our own self-reliant capacity,” he said.

Kim underscored that the US is still North Korea’s biggest enemy, and assured that his administration will continue to develop its nuclear arsenal to deter Washington.

Speaking about his agreements with outgoing president Donald Trump, he suggested that past highlights of the negotiations could be used as a basis in future dialogues.

During talks, the Trump administration presented a list of stipulations aimed at denuclearizing the hermit state and forming a new peaceful relationship with the US. Talks, however, broke down and the goals have never been met.

Dealing with a New Administration

In regards to the incoming Joe Biden administration, North Korea is perceived to be headed for a rocky relationship with the new government. This is because of Joe Biden’s past utterances about Kim Jong-un. He once referred to him as a ‘thug’ during his election campaign.

However, a foreign policy communique recently published by his team indicates that his administration will be working with negotiators to push for the denuclearization of North Korea.

He additionally expressed interest in pursuing beneficial partnerships with more friendly nations.

North Korea is not Letting Its Guard Down

Kim Jong-un has vowed to develop his nation’s nuclear capabilities over time regardless of the relationship with US heads of state.

“Our foreign political activities should be focused and redirected on subduing the US, our biggest enemy and main obstacle to our innovated development.

No matter who is in power in the US, the true nature of the US and its fundamental policies towards North Korea never change,” he said during a January 8 Workers Party meeting.

He additionally expressed interest in pursuing beneficial partnerships with more friendly nations.

[bsa_pro_ad_space id=4]

Samuel Gush

Samuel Gush is a Technology, Entertainment, and Political News writer at Communal News.

Leave a Reply