- Generally, smart glass modifies from semi-transparent to transparent, blocking all or some light wavelengths.
- The smart windows market is emerging as a good revenue generator for the actively involved companies.
- The main sectors in which smart windows will be applicable are commercial buildings, automotive industry as well as personal property buildings.
Smart windows feature “smart glass” or laminated glass with switchable glazing that controls the quantity of privacy, glare, heat and light pass-through automatically or manually. Smart windows utilize technologies, for example, liquid crystals, photochromic, electrochromics and suspended particle displays.
Curtains and blinds might be ideally replaced by smart windows since they hold certain exceptional distinctiveness, for instance, being switchable, projectable and dimmable. Smart windows create the capability to save heating costs, adapt to the environment or weather along with the lighting and air-conditioning, in addition avoiding the expense of installing and maintaining mechanical blinds or light screens or curtains. Generally, smart glass modifies from semi-transparent to transparent, blocking all or some light wavelengths.
The global market for smart windows is promising and estimated to generate huge revenues for prominent companies currently involved in the business. The main sectors in which smart windows will be applicable are commercial buildings, automotive industry as well as personal property buildings. The basis for competition in the overall market will be technology, function, efficiency, safety and price.
The smart windows worldwide market is influenced by several macro and micro factors. A few factors projected to influence the overall market include
- Bigger markets to address due to rising middle-class populations in the developing countries
- Increasing consumer focus towards green buildings, energy conservation as well as fuel proficient transportation
- Development of innovative smart window technologies which are offering growth prospects for a number of companies concerned with the smart window market
The worldwide market for smart windows is segmented on the basis of technology and region. On the basis of technology, the international market is sub-segmented into Active On-Demand Smart Window Technology, Passive Smart Window Technology, Thermochromic Smart Windows, and Photochromic Smart Windows.
The prominent regions are Europe, Asia-Pacific, North America, and Rest of the World.
Key Market Players
The prominent companies leading the worldwide market are Mitsubishi, Citala, Chromogenics, Beijing All Brilliant, Asahi Glass, Commonwealth, Chiefway, DuPont, Corning, Gentex, Garware, Guardian Industries, GlasNovations, Johnson Laminations, Polytron, Saint-Gobain, Sage, Sekisui, Schott, Solutia (Eastman Chemicals), Smart Glass, Switch Materials, Toray Plastics, Ravenbrick, Zeledyne, US e-Chromics, and Others.