- An excipient is used as an additive in the formation of tablets and capsules.
- Sugar based excipients are mostly used in oral prescription medicines, usually with active ingredients that are bitter in taste.
- Europe is expected to be the most lucrative sugar-based excipient market due to favorable government initiatives and increasing demand in drug development in the region.
An excipient is used as an additive in the formation of tablets and capsules. It aids in binding the active ingredients together. An excipient is physically and chemically stable, non-toxic and has pleasant organoleptic properties.
An exipient does not interfere with the active ingredients of the formulation. It aims at long term stabilization of the product imparting consistency, weight and volume. It also decreases the viscosity and improves solubility of the formation. Sugar based excipients are mostly used in oral prescription medicines, usually with active ingredients that are bitter in taste.
Due to the above benefits, sugar-based excipients have witnessed wide acceptance in the pharmaceutical tablet industry. Oral disintegrating tablets (ODT) are preferred over conventional capsules and tablets due to better patient compliance. Development in ODT technologies and evaluation of methodologies is directly driving the sugar based excipient market.
Apart from this, increasing use of co-processed excipient over direct compression process due to its simplicity and cost effectiveness is the another factor facilitating growth of the sugar-based excipient market. However, increasing regulatory pre-requisites are leading to delayed FDA approvals. Yet, growing need for high quality excipients is expected to drive the regulatory transition, aiding further growth of sugar-based excipient market during the forecast period.
In spite of this, pricing pressure among major players is anticipated to be the key challenge affecting the sugar-based excipient market.
- Buy Research Report: UK In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) Market size Surge at a Robust Pace in Terms of Revenue over COVID-19 2026
- Buy Research Report: Combine Harvesters Market to Ride Wave of Profitability on Back of its Versatile Operations
- Buy Research Report: CMP Slurry Market to Grow Two-fold, as Novel CMP Slurries Expand Revenue Pool of Manufacturers
- Buy Research Report: Soil Compaction Machines to Witness Heightened Demand, Underpinned by Array of Infrastructural Initiatives by Government
- Buy Research Report: Luxury Eyewear Sales to Surpass US$ 50 Bn Mark by 2027; Eyeglasses Hold over 60% Market Share
The sugar-based excipient market can be segmented on the basis of product, type, functionality, formulations, and region. By product, the sugar based recipient market can be segmented into sugar alcohols, artificial sweeteners, and actual sugars.
By type, the market can be segmented into direct compression sugars, powders/granules, crystals, and syrups. By functionality, the sugar-based excipient market can be segmented into flavoring agents, fillers & diluents, tonicity agents and other functionalities. By formulations, the market can be segmented into parental formulations, oral formulations, topical formulations and other formulations.
On the basis of region, the sugar-based excipient market can be segmented into Europe, North America, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa and South-America. Among all regions, Europe is expected to be the most lucrative sugar-based excipient market due to favorable government initiatives and increasing demand in drug development in the region.
The main players operating in sugar-based excipient market are Ashland Inc., Roquette group, DFE pharma, BASF SE, Cargill Inc., MEGGLE AG, Lubrizol Corporation, Archer Daniels Midland Company, FMC Corporation, Associated British Foods Plc., and Colorcon Inc.