On Monday representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez visited a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) facility after it was discovered that multiple CBP officers were members of a Facebook group where members shared derogatory comments about migrants and Representative Ocasio-Cortez.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection closed a section of the southern border with Mexico on Sunday and fired tear gas at a group of migrants that tried to breach a fence separating the two countries. Road and pedestrian bridge access at the San Ysidro port had been closed.
- Mexican officials say members of a Central American migrant caravan who rushed the US border will now face deportation from the country. The Interior Ministry of Mexico said any would-be asylum seekers in the group had hurt their cause by “violently” and “illegally” trying to cross the border.
- Border officials reopened the port of entry north of Tijuana and south of San Diego by 6 p.m. local time Sunday. Thousands of Central American migrants are waiting in Tijuana and surrounding areas to apply for asylum in the U.S.
- Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii, tweeted Sunday that the use of tear gas against Central American migrants who attempted to enter the U.S. illegally may have been a violation of international agreements governing the use of chemical weapons — before he backtracked.
- A 26-year-old Guatemalan woman fell and landed on pieces of rebar that pierced her body after she attempted to scale a fence at the US–Mexico border near the San Ysidro Port of Entry. Her young children were not injured.