The Minister of Information in the Yemeni government, Muammar Al-Iryani, denounced the Houthi militias for recruiting children and pushing them to the front lines, saying that the militia’s approach coincides with Iran’s behavior. The minister’s statements came at a time when the Yemeni parties supporting the legitimacy of the government expressed surprise at the calls of the UN envoy Martin Griffiths to hold new consultations with the Houthi militias before implementing the Stockholm Agreement.
The Houthi militia’s losses were exacerbated in confrontations with the joint forces in al-Dhale governorate, while the National Army affirmed that the battle to liberate Sanaa was an irreversible option. Military sources said to reporters that the Houthi militia suffered great human and material losses when the joint forces responded to a major attack launched by the Houthi militia in the western al-Dhale governorate.
Martin Griffiths, the UN Special Envoy to Yemen, arrived today in Sana’a to discuss halting the military escalation and ways to hold a round of Yemeni political consultations. A news source at Sanaa International Airport said that Griffiths arrived with his assistant, Muin Shreim. Political sources confirmed that Griffiths will meet with the leaders of the Houthi militia to discuss reducing the military escalation, as part of his attempts to persuade the parties to the conflict to move towards a new round of consultations, without conditions to discuss arrangements for a political solution to the crisis in Yemen.
Houthi militants claim to have captured many militants during a massive attack on the southern border of Saudi Arabia. So far, no independent sources have confirmed the news, and Saudi Arabia has been silent. Yemeni Houthis say they conducted the largest military operation against the Saudi-led coalition forces during the three days ending on Saturday, and have “liberated” hundreds of square kilometers of areas under their control.
Yemeni Houthis have offered to halt all attacks against Saudi Arabia if Saudi Arabia stops its attacks and the coalition it leads. The United Nations Special Envoy for Yemen welcomed the proposal, and described it as a first step towards ending the six-year war in Yemen. “This proposal could send a powerful message of the will to end the war,” Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths said on Saturday.
US Secretary of Energy Rick Perry accused Iran of involvement in a drone attack on Saudi oil facilities at the International Atomic Energy Agency’s annual meeting in Vienna. He called the attacks “an attack on the global economy and the global energy market.”
Though President Trump did not openly state whom he believes is the perpetrator of the heinous attack on the Saudi Arabia oil plants, his top diplomat, Mike Pompeo, has since Saturday asserted that the attack was carried out from Iran, and not Yemen, as the world was initially made to believe. Trump tweeted Sunday he was “locked and loaded depending on verification.”
Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander Amir Ali Hajizadeh has said that US bases and aircraft carriers are within Iran’s missile range. This was in reaction to Washington accusing Iran of carrying out a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco oil plant.
Saudi Arabia’s state-run media reports that the country’s largest oil company, Aramco, has caught fire after drone strikes in two major oil installations. Another drone strike also set fire to the Khurais oil field on the west side. However, the Saudi Press Agency says the fire has now been controlled in both installations.