On Tuesday during an annual leadership meeting by the head of the IRGC Intelligence Organization Hossein Taub Soleimani revealed in a rare interview that an assassination attempt had been made on his life. The identities of the suspects has still not been revealed. The assassination was planned for several years. Through the assassination it was hoped that it would spark an internal Iranian power struggle and trigger a religious war within Iran. The suspects who are Iranian were sent abroad and trained to make the attack.
The head of the Iranian Intelligence Service says an “Israel-Arab” plan to assassinate Qasem Soleimani has been foiled. Hussein Taeb said members of the team that were supposed to carry out the assassination were identified and arrested. Taeb has announced the failure of a plan to assassinate Soleimani, which he said had been “planned for several years” by the “Arab-Hebrew security services.”
The Commander in Chief of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, Hossein Salami, warned against attacking his country, saying that any such attack would result in the destruction of the invader. The statement of Gen. Salami comes after Washington’s announcement to send troops to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, following the attack on Saudi oil installations last week. Tehran denied the allegations of involvement in the attack.
Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander Amir Ali Hajizadeh has said that US bases and aircraft carriers are within Iran’s missile range. This was in reaction to Washington accusing Iran of carrying out a drone attack on a Saudi Aramco oil plant.