Hatice Cengiz, fiancé of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi, is fighting to stop a Saudi consortium controlled by its Crown Prince from buying Premier League football club Newcastle United. In a letter sent by her lawyers, she said that the Saudi acquisition would make English football complicit in Khashoggi’s assassination.
The most popular professional sports league in the world kicks off its 2019-20 season on Friday, as English Premier League runners-up Liverpool (2-13) take on newly-promoted Norwich City (25-1). A full slate of games follow on Saturday and Sunday. The defending champions, Manchester City (5-19), start their quest for a three-peat Saturday in East London versus West Ham United (14-1). Meanwhile, American fans can watch USMNT star Christian Pulisic with his new club, Chelsea (45-17), against traditional rival Manchester United (11-9) on Sunday.
- Perhaps the most thrilling title race in English football history comes to its exciting conclusion Sunday. Liverpool and Manchester City have matched each other, blow for blow, the entire season, with neither dropping a point since March 3. With 95 and 94 points, the runner-up will set the Premier League record for most points by a team that didn’t win the title.
- Manchester City will attempt to retain their Carabao Cup title on Sunday, as they face Premier League rivals Chelsea at Wembley. Chelsea Manager Maurizio Sarri has, remarkably, never won a trophy, and may not get another chance, given his turbulent tenure in West London.
- SOCCER: Fresh off a 1-1 draw in the Copa del Rey against arch-rival Barcelona, Real Madrid set their sights on their neighbors, Atletico. Second place in the table is at stake— not to mention bragging rights— in the 164th league playing of the Madrid Derby.
- Meanwhile, England’s biggest weekend fixture features fourth-place Chelsea traveling to Manchester City, who are back at the top of the table, after defeating Everton on Wednesday. Man City have a game in hand on Liverpool, and are now favored to retain the Premier League trophy.
- The busiest two weeks of the Premier League calendar (40 matches in all) begin on Friday, as leaders Liverpool face Wolverhampton. Twice in the last ten seasons, the Reds have been top at Christmas, only to fail to win the League.
- The NBA’s traditional Christmas showcase features five games and the league’s top stars. LeBron James’ annual tilt against the defending-champion Golden State Warriors involves his new team, the Los Angeles Lakers, and airs in prime time.
- While it’s a normal week for the NFL, Monday Night’s clash between arch rivals, Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders, takes on added significance. Christmas Eve could be the last Raiders game in Oakland, as the team faces an uncertain future a year ahead of their move to Las Vegas.
- Bowl season continues over the long Christmas weekend, with ten games between Thursday and Wednesday. Boxing Day has two games between Power Five conference teams, and a third between #25 Boise State and Boston College.
- Christmas is the start of summer in the Southern Hemisphere, and that means cricket. This year’s traditional Boxing Day Test pits Australia against India. Aaron Finch should be ready to go for the Aussies, but the same can not be said of the field conditions in Melbourne.