The Islamic State claimed responsibility for an explosive attack that hit a minibus Saturday, in which a troupe of 15 people of the Afghan broadcaster, Khurshid TV, were traveling in Kabul. Two people were killed— a journalist, Mir Wahed Shah and the technician Shafiq Amiri.
Dozens of people were killed in three separate attacks in Afghanistan. The Taliban has carried out a series of retaliatory attacks after President Ashraf Ghani’s recent order for resumption of offensive attacks on militant groups in the country. Ghani’s order came the very day that dozens of Afghan citizens were killed in separate attacks.
At least nine people have been killed and 40 others injured after an attack at an army base in Ghazni, in Afghanistan. The spokesperson for the provincial governor, Arif Noori, said that eight of the wounded were in critical condition. He added that they had been transferred to Kabul for specialized treatment.
At least five people have been killed and dozens injured in an attack in Afghanistan’s eastern Paktia province Thursday. It is alleged that an army base was the target for the attack, but the truck filled with explosives blew up before it reached its target. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was a retaliation to the government’s statement that blamed the group for the attacks on Tuesday.
The Afghan Ministry of Public Health says it has registered 414 positive cases of the coronavirus in the past 24 hours. This is the highest number of coronaviruses in Afghanistan since the outbreak. With these new cases, the number of people infected with the coronavirus in the country has exceeded 6,000.
At least 16, people including two newborn babies, were killed after gunmen attacked a hospital in Kabul on Tuesday. Shortly afterward, 24 people were killed and 68 others injured during a burial ceremony in Nangarhar Province. The interior ministry said that among the dead were mothers, nurses and infants, and around 100 people were rescued from the building.
Forty people, including mothers, nurses, and two newborns, were killed in an attack on a government hospital in Kabul. Fifteen other civilians were injured in the attack, according to the Afghan Interior Ministry, while about 100 people at the hospital were rescued. According to officials, Afghan security forces also killed three assailants involved in the operation after a clash that lasted for several hours.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced that the Afghan army would now conduct more offensive operations against the Taliban. A series of attacks Tuesday on Afghan security forces and civilians in Nangarhar and the Afghan capital, Kabul, killed at least 39 people and injured dozens.
United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is in Qatar to meet with Taliban leaders, for the first time since the signing of the historic ceasefire agreement with the fundamentalist group and perpetrator of terrorist attacks. Pompeo will “meet with Taliban officials, including Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, co-founder of the Taliban movement and its main negotiator, to ask them to continue to respect the agreement signed last month.”
Zalmay Khalilzad, the special envoy to the US State Department for Afghan Peace, said it was time for the Afghan government and the Taliban to begin releasing each other’s prisoners. Mr. Khalilzad wrote on his Twitter page Wednesday that the United States wants to release the prisoners as soon as possible, in accordance with their agreement with the Taliban.
The Afghan government has postponed the release of 1,500 Taliban prisoners, which could sabotage the peace agreement between the United States and the Taliban in Doha last month. According to Javed Faisal, spokesman for the Afghan National Security Office, a review of the list of prisoners is delaying the release of Taliban fighters.
Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has announced the release of 1,500 Taliban prisoners. The prisoners will be released to pursue peacekeeping with the Taliban. As per the order issued by the President, the process of releasing 1500 prisoners will be started on Saturday. The US has welcomed the initiative, while the Taliban have not yet responded.
The United States has begun to withdraw its troops from Afghanistan. According to a statement by US Forces Afghanistan spokesman Col. Sonny Leggett, over the next 135 days, the number of US troops will be reduced to 8,600. At the same time, according to the statement, US forces will continue to participate in anti-terrorist operations against al-Qaeda and the Islamic State, as well as provide support to the Afghan security forces.
Only one day after the Taliban-U.S. Agreement was signed, there was controversy over the measures involved. Afghan President Ashraf Ghani told reporters Sunday that it is not obliged to release the 5,000 Taliban prisoners mentioned in the agreement before internal negotiations in Afghanistan begin.
The United States and the Taliban signed a historic peace agreement in Doha, Qatar Saturday, which opens the door to the total military withdrawal of Americans from Afghanistan after 18 years of war. As per the signed agreement, the U.S. would withdraw forces down to 8,600, from 13,000, with remaining troops withdrawing in 14 months.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Friday that the Trump administration and the Taliban will sign a peace deal on February 29. “This is an important step on a long road to peace,” Pompeo tweeted, “and I call on all Afghans to seize this opportunity.” The two sides announced almost simultaneously that they would sign the agreement after more than a year of negotiations in Qatar.
According to the Pakistani foreign minister, Afghan Taliban insurgents are ready to reduce violence in Afghanistan. Shah Mehmood Qureshi called the Taliban’s acceptance of curtailment of violent operations a positive step toward peace in the region. The issue has not yet been formally endorsed by the Taliban, and the Pakistani foreign minister has not released further details.
A fоrеіgnеr wаѕ kіllеd аnd fіvе Afghаnѕ wоundеd оn Sundау in a саr explosion on a United Nations vehicle іn thе Afghаn саріtаl, Kаbul, a gоvеrnmеnt ѕроkеѕmаn ѕаіd. Afghаn Intеrіоr Mіnіѕtrу ѕроkеѕmаn Nuѕrаt Rаhіmі ѕаіd fіvе Afghаnѕ, іnсludіng two UN wоrkеrѕ, were ѕlіghtlу іnjurеd іn thе аttасk, whісh was саuѕеd bу a bоmb оn thе UN vеhісlе, wіthоut rеvеаlіng thе nаtіоnаlіtу of thе killed.
At least еіght роlісеmеn wеrе kіllеd іn a Taliban attack оn ѕесurіtу posts in the сеntrаl рrоvіnсе оf Daykundi, оffісіаlѕ said оn Sunday. Offісіаlѕ ѕаіd about thrее tо fоur реорlе wеrе wоundеd іn the аttасkѕ іn thе Kіjrаn dіѕtrісt оf thе province аt аrоund 1 аm lосаl tіmе (2030 GMT). “About 200 Tаlіbаn mіlіtаntѕ lаunсhеd a сооrdіnаtеd attack оn security сеntеrѕ оvеrnіght,” dерutу рrоvіnсіаl governor, Dr. Mohammad Ali Oruzgani, and twо рrоvіnсіаl соunсіl mеmbеrѕ, Haji Jаіrаt аnd Suhrab Alі Atmаdі, tоld reporters.
Sесurіtу fоrсеѕ have “wiped out” ISIS fighters in Afghаnіѕtаn, after mоrе than 600 ISIS fіghtеrѕ surrendered wіth thеіr fаmіlіеѕ tо thе Afghаn gоvеrnmеnt over the раѕt wееkѕ, Prеѕіdеnt Aѕhrаf Ghani said. Offісіаlѕ say aerial аttасkѕ bу Afghаn and соаlіtіоn fоrсеѕ, lасk оf fіnаnсіаl support, and lоw morale hаvе fоrсеd thе group tо surrender.
At least 12 реорlе wеrе kіllеd аnd ѕеvеn оthеrѕ wоundеd in a саr bomb explosion Wеdnеѕdау mоrnіng in Kаbul, Intеrіоr Mіnіѕtrу ѕроkеѕmаn Nusrat Rahimi ѕаіd. Rаhіmі explained that thе еxрlоѕіоn occurred аt 7:25 PM (2:55 GMT), іn thе ѕесtоr “BD15,” іn thе north of thе Afghаn capital nеаr thе Interior Mіnіѕtrу. Hе ѕаіd аll the dеаd were сіvіlіаnѕ. “This іѕ рrеlіmіnаrу information and wе will reveal more dеtаіlѕ later.”
Afghаnіѕtаn’ѕ ISIS brаnсh hаѕ bееn defeated іn the eastern рrоvіnсе оf Nаngаrhаr, the соuntrу’ѕ асtіng іntеrіоr mіnіѕtеr said on Sundау. Hе told rероrtеrѕ іn Jаlаlаbаd, the саріtаl оf Nаngаrhаr Province, that ISIS was dеfеаtеd in Nаngаrhаr, and іtѕ сеntеrѕ wеrе destroyed, in the midst of соntіnuоuѕ operations аgаіnѕt terrorists. “We wіll soon dеѕtrоу thеіr lаѕt сеntеrѕ. Wіth thе реорlе’ѕ hеlр, wе will соmрlеtеlу еlіmіnаtе them. Some of their ѕmаllеr groups аrе ѕurrеndеrіng, other small grоuрѕ wіll be eliminated іn оthеr provinces.”
Dеlеgаtеѕ frоm the US, Russia, Chіnа, аnd Pаkіѕtаn hаvе аgrееd thаt nеgоtіаtіоnѕ аrе the оnlу way to еѕtаblіѕh реасе іn Afghаnіѕtаn. After tаlkѕ іn Moscow оn Friday, dеlеgаtеѕ from аll four соuntrіеѕ аgrееd tо соntіnuе tаlkѕ wіth thе Tаlіbаn. According to a ѕtаtеmеnt issued аt thе end оf thе meeting, China, Ruѕѕіа, аnd Pakistan have саllеd fоr a rеvіvаl оf the dіаlоguе process bеtwееn thе US аnd thе Tаlіbаn ѕо thаt аn аgrееmеnt саn bе fіnаlіzеd under the роѕt-wаr рrосеѕѕ.
Thе Afghаn Ministry of Defense hаѕ announced that security fоrсеѕ hаvе recaptured Darqad district, located in Takhar Province, northeastern Afghanistan, from the Taliban. The mіnіѕtrу said іn a nеwѕ release tоdау thаt Afghаn ѕесurіtу forces hаd bееn соnduсtіng сlеаrаnсе operations іn vаrіоuѕ dіѕtrісtѕ for ѕеvеrаl dауѕ. Thеy ѕаіd іn a nеwѕ release thаt five Tаlіbаn mеmbеrѕ wеrе killed аnd dozens were wounded, аnd ѕоmе Taliban wеароnѕ аnd ammunition wеrе destroyed.
The Afghan Taliban said that three engineers belonging to India have been released in exchange for the release of several top Taliban commanders. The release includes ten key commanders and one member of the Haqqani network. Three Indian engineers, who were rescued on Sunday, were among seven engineers abducted last year in northern Afghanistan along with their driver.
A top Afghan Taliban delegation, led by the Taliban’s top commander, Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, met Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday. A PMO official told reporters that the Pakistan Army Chief also attended this meeting on Thursday afternoon. Earlier, the delegation also met Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi at the Pakistan Foreign Ministry office. The meeting was also attended by Lt Gen Faiz Hameed, the head of ISI, the intelligence agency of the Pakistani Army.
The Taliban have said that they are ready to resume peace talks with the United States, ten days after President Trump declared the talks “dead” and in the aftermath of two bloody attacks in Afghanistan yesterday, which they claimed responsibility. “The doors are open for negotiations,” chief negotiator Sher Mohammad Abbas Stanikzai said in an interview with the BBC. “We hope the other party will rethink its decision on the negotiations,” he added.
Two suicide bombings perpetrated by the Taliban have today, Tuesday, shaken Afghanistan, occurring in a mere one-hour interval. The first explosion took place in the north of the country where a bomb has exploded near the location where Afghan president, Ashraf Ghani, was conducting his presidential campaign rally for the country’s presidential elections scheduled for September 28. The second attack has occurred in Kabul, a few meters from the country’s US embassy.
Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani says the government is ready to talk to the Taliban, but insists peace talks are not possible without a ceasefire. Mr. Ghani said Afghanistan was at a critical juncture, and both peace and elections were necessary. He said that peace is the demand of the whole nation, which will belong to the whole Afghan nation.
Pakistan has reacted to US President Donald Trump’s recent remarks, and said that Islamabad will always believe that Afghanistan’s conflict cannot be resolved through war. Pakistan is optimistic that talks will resume between the US and the Taliban, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a television interview that he would not talk to the Taliban unless they change their attitude. Mr. Pompeo told ABC News that the Taliban had escalated violence, and that the group had taken credit for the latest suicide attack in Kabul, which killed eight people, including an American. With this incident, President Trump said that “It is enough.”
The US Congress has called on Zalmay Khalilzad, the country’s special envoy for Afghan peace, to provide details of the deal with the Taliban. Rep. Eliot Engel, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, urged Mr. Khalilzad to present details of the deal with the Taliban to Congress in a public hearing. The Democratic Party has a majority in the House of Representatives.
Zalmay Khalilzad, the US Special Representative for Afghanistan, says the US military will vacate five military bases in the first phase in the event of a peace deal with the Taliban. Khalilzad will arrive in Doha after the end of the ninth round of talks with the Taliban.
The Afghan Interior Ministry says at around 4 pm today, an explosion occurred in northern Kunduz province. Nusrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry, said that two Afghan security forces were killed and four others, including four civilians and four policemen, were wounded in the incident.
Despite protests and criticism, the German government has returned a number of Afghan citizens to their country. The forced return of Afghan asylum seekers and immigrants began last December. German news agencies on Wednesday quoted Kabul airport officials saying that a plane originating in Germany with seven Afghans landed at the airport at 6 am local time.
US President Donald Trump says there is “no rush,” and “no timeline” for Afghan peace talks with the Taliban. President Trump told reporters on the sidelines of the G7 summit in France on Monday that there are no plans for withdrawing American troops from Afghanistan.
The Afghan Presidential Palace says it is monitoring ongoing peace talks between the Taliban and US in the Qatari capital, Doha. Talks to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan entered their ninth round on Tuesday. The day starts with an effort to finalize the final points of the agreement.
Inter-group talks have been underway since the end of Eid, both between members of the Taliban’s political bureau in Doha and at the level of the Taliban leadership, a source told news reporters in Doha, Qatar on Wednesday. According to the source, who did not want to be named, the Taliban group will make its final decision on a “final deal” with the US within two days. The source added that another meeting between the group’s representatives and the United States would soon be needed if changes were made to the final draft of the agreement with the United States.
The Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs criticizes the Uzbek government’s official acceptance of the Taliban, saying such acceptance does not represent a basis for peace talks between the Afghan government and Taliban representatives. Two days ago, the Taliban announced that Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, the head of Taliban’s political bureau in Qatar, met with Uzbekistan’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Abdul Aziz Kamelov.
On the third day of the eighth round of talks between the United States and the Taliban in Qatar’s capital Doha, top US and Taliban sources confirmed that further progress had been made, but a peace agreement would be signed and announced later. It is not yet clear how many more days, weeks or months it will take to announce the success of the peace talks between the United States and the Taliban, but at the end of the third day, the two sides look promising.
One hundred and sixty two people were killed by Islamic terrorist attacks with a massive 380 injured in 34 attacks over the last week. The number injured took a savage leap with the knowledge that a susuide car bomb went off next a school. The number of attacks per day increase from 32 over six days to 34 over the last seven days. The overall number of deaths decrease but the number by a single event was unconscionable.
Twenty Eight people were killed by Islamic terrorist attacks per day each and every day over the last 7 days. Though the number of attack per day decreased from 32 over six days to 30 over 7 days. The overall number of deaths has increase while the number of attacks has declined over the previous week.