Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca announced 29 new deaths from COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the death toll in the country to 4,369. Koca also tweeted that 987 new cases had been confirmed, for a total of 157,814 in Turkey. The total number of patients who have recovered in Turkey has exceeded 120,000.
The Secretary-General of the World Health Organization today defended the organization, saying that it acted promptly in response to the new coronavirus pandemic. “From the beginning, the WHO has acted quickly and decisively to respond to warn the world,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.
The death toll due to COVID-19, caused by the new coronavirus, has exceeded 200,000 worldwide.So far, the total number of infected people has reached nearly 2.9 million. This is according to statistics compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Deaths from the new virus were first reported by Chinese state media on January 11.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has come forward to defend itself against US President Donald Trump’s allegations of negligence, prompting Trump to once again threaten to reduce the annual budget provided by the United States to the WHO. Trump says that China contributed much less than the United States.
Today saw the number of infections by the new coronavirus in Africa exceed by 1,000 in 40 countries across the continent, with records of 30 deaths, according to the latest statistics on the covid-19 pandemic. In total, 1,107 cases of infection have been recorded since the beginning of the pandemic. The very first case on the continent was reported on February 14, in Egypt.