The Australian Strategic Policy Institute released a new report on Tuesday, based on Twitter’s data released last month, about China’s intention to influence Hong Kong’s anti-extradition (or “reverse delivery”) campaign. Among the findings, the Chinese government has spent the past two years intending to spread fake news targeting specific people across several social media platforms.
Social media Twitter and Facebook announced on Monday that they blocked a large number of accounts on their platforms. The two social media giants said that these accounts spread false information about Hong Kong demonstrations and they were dominated by Chinese officials.
The president of the United States, Donald Trump, on Monday attacked the black pastor civil rights activist Al Sharpton on Twitter, which generated new accusations of racism against the president after his recent attacks against legislators who are ethnic minorities. Trump, who is seeking reelection in 2020, harassed Al Sharpton after a weekend marked by his attacks on Elijah Cummings, a black Democratic congressman who represents a district in Baltimore, a black-majority city.
One of the first things you’re taught in journalism class is to never make yourselves the story. Yet, here we stand, facing a sensitive content warning on our Twitter page. We have seen no reason why Twitter has specifically target us. We have close to 700 contributors on a open platform, which no matter the subject or politics, if the article is well written and fact-based, we have published it. We have published roughly 240 articles this month, and we can not identify any sensitive or graphic image in any of these articles.
We believe it is wrong for Twitter to filter the news, or pick one article out of a wide range of diversified posts, and say that news story is over the line. We are an open platform that publishes the news the public selects. The vast majority of Twitter users do not want the news filtered for them by Silicon Valley, and certainly do not want an open news platform to be suppressed because it is willing to publish all sides of every story. At this point we have seen no email or reason why Communal News is being censored.
The question begs: Is it really happening?
Are media giants like Facebook and Twitter censoring rhe right, smaller news companies and the public? Are they censoring Christians? Are they censoring the left equally? With algorithms now controlling everything said, we now also have machines controlling our conversations, our very lives.
The internet has so many platforms that can sometimes lead you to into confusion on what to use. Of course there are some advantages and disadvantages in each platform so we are going to talk about you as an entrepreneur on how to utilize the best platform in the internet.
If you are starting your business and you are planning to get into Digital Marketing, you may ask yourself, is it much easier than it was 10 to 15 years ago? and why do you ask this? because as an entrepreneur, you are your own media company. Doesn’t matter what business you are in, you need to think like a media in this generation.
- China’s first official economic gauge for March signaled a stabilization, easing one of the biggest worries for the global outlook. The manufacturing purchasing managers index rose to 50.5 from 49.2 last month, the biggest increase since 2012 and exceeding all estimates by economists. Both new orders and new export orders – leading sub-gauges that signal future activities – rose to the highest levels in six months.
- NORTH DAKOTA: The North Dakota arm of the Democratic Party is running ads on Facebook discouraging hunters from turning out to vote in Tuesday’s midterm elections. A spokesman for North Dakota Gaming and Fish told Port the same: “We’ve never heard of that.”
- MONTANA: An email, purportedly from the Montana Democratic Party, is being sent to businesses seeking support for re-electing Sen. Jon Tester. But the bogus email misrepresents Tester’s stances, saying he supports abolishing ICE and repealing the GOP tax cuts.
- INDIANA: The Indiana Democratic Party sent out a mailer promising voters there is a choice for Senate “who will really lower your taxes.” But that choice wasn’t Democratic incumbent Sen. Joe Donnelly. The mailer calls Libertarian Senate candidate Lucy Brenton “the anti-tax candidate” and says she would “cut red tape on small businesses, helping them create better jobs in Indiana.”
- Activists with Project Veritas embedded with campaigns of unknowing Democrats across the country ahead of the midterms. So far, the group has posted undercover videos with liberal campaign workers or candidates in six tight races: MISSOURI, NORTH DAKOTA, TENNESSEE, ARIZONA, FLORIDA, OREGON and VIRGINIA.
- OHIO: Facebook ads from a new, mystery group have started running promoting the candidacy of Green Party candidate Joe Manchik in Ohio’s 12th Congressional District — the closest and most at-risk Republican seat in the state. The group is not only supporting Manchik. They are also running Facebook ads for third party candidates in other tightly-contested races in a handful of districts across the U.S.
- GEORGIA: Oprah Winfrey campaigned for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Stacey Abrams on Thursday. But Winfrey made it clear to the audience that she’s not running for President in 2020.
- Twitter deleted more than 10,000 automated accounts posting messages that discouraged people from voting in Tuesday’s U.S. election and wrongly appeared to be from Democrats, after the party flagged the misleading tweets.
- Former President Obama has recorded more than 50 last-minute messages for Democratic candidates across the country, a below-the-radar push to get voters to the polls ahead of next week’s midterm elections.
- Previously: 7 Days to Midterm Elections: No Stone Left Unturned for Votes
- Previously: 14 Days to the Midterm Elections: Too Close to Call?
- Previously: 21 Days to the Midterm Elections: #RedWave or #BlueWave?
Stocks of Facebook (FB) Google Alphabet (GOOGL) and Twitter (TWTR) are mentioned.
- CEO claiming employee advocacy and social selling are key marketing channels. Reason why you’ve been hearing so much about employee advocacy programs recently.
- How social media became a weapon of war. There is still a kind of denialism at these tech companies because they control the platforms that literally set the rules of the new game.
- Corporation functions as a trustee, it also has certain affirmative duties to its shareholders. The most important of these duties is to act impartially with respect to the interests of its multiple owners. To act in good faith and basic fairness with respect to conflicting interests among its shareholders.
- By controlling the attention of over 2 billion people, Mark Zuckerberg is tearing up the fabric of society and destroying democracy.
- Twitter has been slapped with a lawsuit by a conservative journalist who says he’s been unfairly banned from the social-media platform due to his political viewpoints.
- Zuckerberg and his colleagues automated system could also be used by politically motivated customers to direct political or ideological messages at Facebook users. This was precisely what had happened during the presidential election.
- Trump accused Google of manipulating search results to show negative stories about him. A week later, congressional lawmakers rebuked the company for failing to send one of its top executives to testify at a hearing alongside Facebook and Twitter.
- Related Nike/Kaepernick Social Strategy