Taliban Claims Responsibility for Suicide Attack in Kunduz as Peace Talks Continue

  • Kunduz health officials said that two people have been killed and two wounded so far at the central hospital.
  • The Afghan Interior Ministry announced that a Taliban group had been attacked in Pul-e-Khumri and three members of the group were killed, five were wounded and two were arrested.
  • Following the end of the ninth round of talks, US Special Representative for Peace, Zalmai Khalilzad, said he was on the verge of agreeing with the Taliban.

The Afghan Interior Ministry says at around 4 pm today, an explosion occurred in northern Kunduz province. Nusrat Rahimi, a spokesman for the Afghan Interior Ministry, said that two Afghan security forces were killed and four others, including four civilians and four policemen, were wounded in the incident.

Kunduz health officials said that two people have been killed and two wounded so far at the central hospital. Witnesses say the attack occurred while security forces were eating. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.

Kunduz is a city in northern Afghanistan, which serves as the capital of Kunduz Province. Kunduz was the last major city to be held by the Taliban until its capture by the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance in 2001, and has seen fierce fighting between the Taliban and Afghan government since 2015.

Two days ago, the city of Kunduz witnessed another massive attack and suicide bombing by the Taliban. As a result, two Taliban fighters, four Afghan security forces, and five civilians were killed. The attack also killed four people, including security forces and civilians.

At least 11 Afghan security forces, including police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hosseini, were killed in a suicide attack in Kunduz central square. Yesterday, the Interior Ministry announced that the Taliban’s massive attack on the city was completely repelled and the city was cleared of insurgent forces.

A source told reporters that four senior Taliban commanders were also killed in the Taliban attack on Kunduz. The Taliban has not yet commented on the casualties. The day after the Taliban attack on Kunduz, the group attacked the Karker areas and the Pul-e-Khumri town, the center of Baghlan province, near Kunduz.

The Afghan Interior Ministry announced that a Taliban group had been attacked in Pul-e-Khumri and three members of the group were killed, five were wounded and two were arrested.

In addition to the Taliban, six others were killed in the attack, including two security personnel and four civilians, according to the Interior Ministry. Three others were also wounded, two of whom were military and the rest were civilians.

Following the end of the ninth round of talks, US Special Representative for Peace, Zalmai Khalilzad, said he was on the verge of agreeing with the Taliban. “We are at the threshold of an agreement that will reduce violence and open the door for Afghans to sit together to negotiate an honorable and sustainable peace and a unified, sovereign Afghanistan that does not threaten the United States, its allies or any other country,” he said in a Twitter post.

The Battle of Kunduz was a fight for control of the city between the Taliban and Afghan government in October 2015. The Taliban captured the city on September 27, but withdrew on October 14.

Mr. Khalilzad came to Kabul yesterday to brief Afghan leaders and senior officials on details of his talks with Taliban representatives. The Afghan Executive Directorate has announced that Mr. Khalilzad has briefed Mr. Abdullah on the latest details of the US-Taliban talks.

He added that Mr. Khalilzad will negotiate with all parties during his trip to Kabul. Also, Wahid Omar, senior adviser on Public and Strategic Affairs to Afghan President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani, said today that Khalilzad had shown a copy of the US-Taliban agreement draft to Mr. Ghani alone.

The Afghan Presidency has announced that Mr. Khalilzad met with Mohammad Ashraf Ghani but has not provided details of the meeting.

Only $1/click

Submit Your Ad Here

Doris Mkwaya

I am a journalist, with more than 12 years of experience as a reporter, author, editor, and journalism lecturer." I've worked as a reporter, editor and journalism lecturer, and am very enthusiastic about bringing what I've learned to this site.  

Leave a Reply