- President Trump on Wednesday offered a sudden mediation to end tensions on the border between India and China.
- India has rejected the offer, saying it is seeking a "solution to the problem" with Beijing.
- An article in Chinese newspaper Global Times said the two countries did not need President Trump's help.
Reiterating his call for mediation on the border dispute between India and China, US President Donald Trump has said that he has spoken to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, but India has denied any such talks. President Trump has said that Prime Minister Modi’s mood is not right on the ongoing tension between India and China.
Speaking to the media at the White House on Thursday, President Trump said, in response to a question from an Indian journalist, that there was a situation of “major confrontation” between India and China. “I like your prime minister a lot. He is a great gentleman,” the president said
“Have a big conflict . . . India and China. Two countries with 1.4 billion people [each]. Two countries with very powerful militaries. India is not happy and probably China is not happy,” he said, when asked if he was worried about the border situation between India and China. “I can tell you; I did speak to Prime Minister Modi. He is not in a good mood about what is going on with China,” Trump continued.
India, however, has denied any contact between the two leaders in recent days, according to a senior government official. The last time the two leaders met was on April 4, when they discussed hydroxychloroquine. President Trump also offered to mediate the Kashmir issue in July last year, saying he had made the proposal to the Indian prime minister. However, the Indian Foreign Ministry denied receiving any such proposal.
President Trump on Wednesday offered a sudden mediation to end tensions on the border between India and China. “We have informed both India and China that the United States is ready, willing and able to mediate or arbitrate their now raging border dispute,” Trump said in a tweet. “Thank you!”
India has rejected the offer, saying it is seeking a “solution to the problem” with Beijing. Asked about Donald Trump’s tweet during a media briefing, Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman Anurag Srivastava said, “We are in talks with China to resolve the issue peacefully.”
He added that India’s troops have a “very responsible approach towards border management and strictly follow the procedures laid out in various bilateral agreements and protocols with China to resolve any issue that may arise in the border areas.” Srivastava said that “at the same time, we remain firm in our resolve to ensuring India’s sovereignty and national security.”
There has been no official statement from China on President Trump’s proposal, but an article in the official newspaper Global Times, said the two countries did not need President Trump’s help. “The latest dispute can be solved bilaterally by China and India,” it said. “The two countries should keep alert on the US, which exploits every chance to create waves that jeopardize regional peace and order.”
It is noteworthy that there has been tension between India and China over the last several weeks on the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh and North Sikkim. Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered Chinese forces to begin strong preparations for war.
On the other hand, Indian Prime Minister Modi had detailed discussions with the Defense Minister, National Security Adviser, Chief of Defense Staff and the Chiefs of the three Armed Forces regarding the situation.