- "The U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
- Last month, the Canadian government announced that they had stopped providing security assistance due to changes in their status.
- On December 5, 2019, Harry and Megan announced that they wanted to retire from the front row of the royal family.
After the news that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were moving from Canada to the United States, US President Donald Trump tweeted that “the U.S. will not pay for their security protection.” The couple, however, said they have no desire to seek security at the expense of the United States or any other government.
“I am a great friend and admirer of the Queen & the United Kingdom,” Trump tweeted. “It was reported that Harry and Meghan, who left the Kingdom, would reside permanently in Canada. Now they have left Canada for the U.S. however, the U.S. will not pay for their security protection. They must pay!”
Reportedly, the couple migrated from Canada to Meghan’s home in California due to the outbreak of coronavirus. As the eldest member of the royal family, they formally withdrew from their duties on March 1, and will no longer serve Queen Elizabeth II. After a year, however, the matter will be revisited.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have no plans to ask the US government for security resources,” a statement sent on behalf of the couple said on Sunday. “Privately funded security arrangements have been made.” The couple and their son, Archie, have spent most of the year on the West Coast of Canada after spending six months at Christmas on Vancouver Island.
Last month, the Canadian government announced that they had stopped providing security assistance due to changes in their status. Now Mr. Trump took similar measures. The couple moved to Los Angeles last week, where Megan grew up near her mother, Doria Ragland, according to US media reports.
Coronavirus outbreaks are also increasing in the United States. At present, there are more than 122,000 people reportedly infected, which is higher than any other country in the world. Earlier this month, Prince Harry’s father, Prince Charles, was infected with the coronavirus. The Prince of Wales is reportedly in “good spirits.”
The royal family entered in an unprecedented crisis after Prince Harry and Meghan announced their departure to Canada. As suddenly as the announcement came from Prince Harry and Megan Merkel, it was shocking to everyone. There has been intense noise in the British media. Queen Elizabeth II called on senior members of the royal family at her Sandringham palace to discuss the crisis.
Many compared Prince Harry’s decision with the departure of Edward VIII to the throne. Prince Harry’s position is far behind, however, number six in line to the British throne.
On December 5, 2019, Harry and Megan announced that they wanted to retire from the front row of the royal family. At the same time, they wanted to share their time in the UK and North America. They also wanted to be financially independent so that they do not have to rely on the money of the treasury. They announced this without any further discussion with the Queen or any member of the royal family. That is why this incident creates such intense controversy.
Officials at Buckingham Palace were shocked at the incident. Senior members of the royal family took a big hit at the announcement. The Duke and Duchess have been the target of the British tabloid press ever since their marriage. In October, last year, they expressed their disappointment and sorrow. Prince Harry and Megan said they decided to step down from the royal family without much thought.