- Idlib has been living under the influence of daily attacks since early December and has escalated between Russia's support for the Syrian regime and factions loyal to Ankara.
- Efforts between Moscow and Ankara have so far failed to find a solution, while Idlib residents have lived on daily cannonball attacks.
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Idlib to cease the fire immediately to “end a humanitarian crisis and avoid an uncontrollable escalation.”
A Turkish soldier was killed in a bomb attack by the Assad regime in Syria’s Idlib area, becoming the sixteenth Turkish soldier to die in the area this month. A statement issued from the Turkish province of Gaziantep said that the deceased was a tank repairman. Turkey has sent thousands of soldiers and military equipment to areas south of its borders to resist the attack by Assad forces in order to regain control of areas controlled by opposition fighters.
Idlib has been living under the influence of daily attacks since early December and has escalated between Russia’s support for the Syrian regime and factions loyal to Ankara. Tensions have intensified and reached a climax in the past few weeks, with Turkey directly intervening and bombarding cities and towns in Syria’s northwestern provinces, an upgrade that has also cleared the Russian-Turkish relationship.
Efforts between Moscow and Ankara have so far failed to find a solution, while Idlib residents have lived on daily cannonball attacks. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported on Saturday that Russia and its Syrian allies carried out 60 raids on towns and villages in the village of Idlib, and the attacks were repeated. In terms of field details, Saturday morning’s raid targeted Kafr Nabl, Al-Bara, Ahsam, Binin, Al-Fateira, Abyan, Al-Fateira, Sharjah, Joseph and other places in Jabal Al-Zawiya, while violent missile struck.
On Friday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called on Idlib to cease the fire immediately to “end a humanitarian crisis and avoid an uncontrollable escalation.” Guterres said that “nearly 900,000 people— the vast majority women and children— have fled in the latest fighting under the most tragic circumstances.” He added, “hundreds have been killed. Many have been uprooted multiple times. Young children are freezing to death.”
The United Nations says 170,000 of them live in the open air. According to the observatory, it also killed more than 400 civilians. Despite efforts to calm the dispute between Moscow and Ankara, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has accused Russia of killings in Idlib. The Kremlin confirmed on Wednesday that Turkey did not comply with the agreement with Russia and “neutralized” militants, adding that attacks on Syrian regimes and Russian troops in the area are continuing.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov also said that Moscow remains committed to the agreement with Ankara, but considers the attack on Idlib to be unacceptable and inconsistent with the agreement reached with Ankara. Prior to this, Erdogan threatened to attack the regime everywhere and hinted that if the regime does not withdraw from positions near the Turkish observation post in Idlib, he will conduct a major attack at the end of February.
Erdogan Blames, Threatens Russia
The Turkish president threatened that in case his soldiers will be injured, the Syrian “regime” will attack anytime and anywhere, accusing Russia’s ally, Damascus, of participating in the “massacre” in Idlib, northwestern Syria. In an unprecedented situation, Erdogan directly criticized Russia on Wednesday, saying that the regime and the Russian forces supporting it have “continuously attacked and slaughtered civilians.”
He added that Turkey will “do everything necessary” to return the Syrian regime to Israel. The agreement follows twelve observation points established to prevent the regime from launching an attack on neighboring provinces. The threat came only after more than a dozen Turkish soldiers were killed in a bombing by regime forces in Idlib, the last bastion of factions that resisted the regime.